Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, as I am new here and found this site and seemed to remember something about taking a cable off the battery and waiting 10 minutes then connect again to reset something.

Miss Smarty wants to start and the ignition turns over but then she just won't go all the way to start. I have had this problem before and I did little ritual where pumped the gas(I don't think you can flood a car any more, gosh, showing my age) and put it in and out of gear and she started.

But today she still sounds like she wants to start but won't.

Again sorry as I know this might be a repeat. but if anyone out there could help me I would appreciate.

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
If there is no CEL light, you may want to check & make sure the fuel pump is operating. Check the fuse, first. If you are not mechanically savvy, you should have your car towed to a smart Center Service Dept. or a good independent repair shop. Other issues might be with the crankshaft position sensor, but one should carefully diagnose what is causing your concern before replacing parts. Battery condition is also very important.

·
Super Moderator
28,980 Posts
What he said, plus have someone check that your brake lights go on when you push the brake pedal. If the brake light switch is bad the car won't start. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much Smart Bob for responding so quickly. The light comes on. I just went out to start her again and now she started up after yesterday not starting at all. Grrr. I live in a village in Mexico and 1.5 hours out of Guadalajara where the dealership is but I think to feel safe will have to get her there so they can check things. It's just so frustrating as I took it to a local guy who works on Smarts and left it with him for several days and of course she didn't have the problem. I just don't want to be out and have her not start.

Thank you again for such a quick response.

Also do you know something about a need to have a software update if you experience a problem putting your smart car in reverse as I too have had this problem occasionally.

I love my smart car for driving the narrow streets in our village but my husband is done with it and wants to get something else.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Yes, there is a software update that will address the Not Going into Reverse issue. Your smart center service dept. should be able to install that for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you. my husband now has me looking at other new cars which to me just look like any other cars. I love the Smart Car

·
Super Moderator
28,980 Posts
So do we - they can be frustrating but there's really nothing else out there like the smart. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts