Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a used 2013 Smart Fortwo I forget the exact model but I believe it’s the most basic one hard top no see threw glass and manual windows, the car has about 104,000 miles, I drove on the free way on my way home and have been driving it around town for about a week and on my way to work this morning the check engine light popped on, I filled it up about three days ago and the tank still reads full, and I checked the gas cap which seems to be all the way on, I’m going to have a diagnostic test after work but I’m debating on if I should have it towed or drive home, anyone know any common problems it might be I hope it’s nothing serious I driving a little fast as I was running late for work but didn’t go over 50 mph

·
Super Moderator
29,205 Posts
Welcome to SCoA! :)

Could be anything. Having it scanned for OBD codes is a good starting point; as long as it's driving OK and there are no other warning lights I'd say it's safe to drive to a mechanic.

·
Super Moderator
17,598 Posts
Welcome to SCoA!!! :D

If it still runs well I wouldn't get it towed home. I'd recommend stopping by an auto parts store and having the code pulled. The computers likely got a bad reading from something during your morning commute. I have a CEL due to a bad secondary air injection pump...been like that for 5k miles and the car still runs like a top. Now if that CEL begins flashing on your drive home, pull over immediately and shut the car down. Flashing CEL means catastrophic damage may soon occur.

Don't worry about the fuel gauge. :) The fuel gauge isn't linear so it's going to read full for 50-130 miles.

Reactions: Smart369
1 - 3 of 3 Posts