Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I need your help. I tried to recharged my A/C with cooling fluid: Engine & A/C fully running during the recharge process. However, suddenly I heard a strange noises like a "clicks" from the engine area every 5 seconds, but only when the A/C (which does not work) is switched on. I also realized that the A/C wasn't working anymore, only the fan. When we opened the engine area, I saw that the noise comes from the A/C pump (or compressor) which wasn't rolling anymore, just moving step wise.

Any suggestions? Can anybody help?
THANKS!

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
So you were adding freon and it started working/blowing cold air, and then as you are adding more it stops working/stops blowing cold air?

This happened to me when I added too much, (in a different vehicle though.) You can (illegally vent it out by pressing the valve in,) or take it somewhere that they can remove some.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
These systems work best when properly evacuated and charged with the exact amount of oil and refrigerant. Take it to a CAPABLE automotive AC service center to restore it to it's best operating charge and pressures. I suspect you have over charged it and the high pressure switch is causing the compressor to cut off and on as it bleeds back down producing the stepping action you describe.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Is it possible as others have had the same problem that your condenser fan is not working causing the compressor to shut down??

·
Registered
39 Posts
Developed the same issue after I attempted to 'top off' the AC. Now it does not cool. I believe I over pressurized the system and will try to bleed off some to see if this helps. Does anyone know what the low side pressure should be? I would like to get the system flushed and refilled. The Smart dealer in Charleston SC has refused to work on the car and I am actively searching for an AC shop here that is willing to work on the car.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Developed the same issue after I attempted to 'top off' the AC. Now it does not cool. I believe I over pressurized the system and will try to bleed off some to see if this helps. Does anyone know what the low side pressure should be? I would like to get the system flushed and refilled. The Smart dealer in Charleston SC has refused to work on the car and I am actively searching for an AC shop here that is willing to work on the car.
Why won't the dealer look at it :confused:

·
Registered
39 Posts
The dealer stated that since it is a 2005 that they do not have to tools or the expertise. They also gave the excuse that it is 'european' specs. The dealership at Tyson Corner Virginia had no issues with working on the car.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
The dealer stated that since it is a 2005 that they do not have to tools or the expertise. They also gave the excuse that it is 'european' specs. The dealership at Tyson Corner Virginia had no issues with working on the car.
Any PRE 2008, the US MB dealers will NOT touch...grey market cars :(

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
This product works wonders in our '92 190E:

DIY Car AC Repair, Air Conditioner Recharge With Refrigerant R134a Freon

Just add 'till it blows cold. (Some actually have a gauge, and I found it works best at the low end of the green shaded area. Tried to top it off and got the cycling the OP mentions.)

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
As usual, not enough information given. What do you mean when you say the a/c was not working? Was it blowing air out the vents? If so, was the air cold, cool or ambient temperature? Was the radiator fan running? Was the compressor clutch engaged? Why do you think it needed refrigerant added? Do you have a means to check the system pressures?

Without more specific information all you can get are wild guesses. If you do not know what the clicking of the compressor signifies you probably should not be working on it. I am sorry if that sounds harsh but I am too old and ornery to worry about political correctness. Working on cars is not as easy as it looks on tv. It can be dangerous if you do not know what you are doing and you can do more harm than good to the car. Be careful.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
So you were adding freon and it started working/blowing cold air, and then as you are adding more it stops working/stops blowing cold air?

This happened to me when I added too much, (in a different vehicle though.) You can (illegally vent it out by pressing the valve in,) or take it somewhere that they can remove some.
Thanks jzchen, it worked - you made my day!! :)

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Thanks jzchen, it worked - you made my day!! :)
I'm glad to hear it worked! I've brought many a car to dealers and repair places and have gotten whopping bills that really hurt a person's pocket, yet when the car came back I wasn't very impressed. That A/C Pro stuff works wonders, meaning the car blew really cold air. Just be wary of Hybrid/Plug-in vehicle specs if you consider working on them. High voltage compressors don't use PAG as I understand.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts