Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm an MBA student at the USC Marshall School of Business. I'm currently working on a class project about the feasibility of marketing a lightweight trailer to pull with the SMART. The trailer would be able to haul small boats, kayaks, canoes, bicycles, and small equipment (up to 700 lbs).

To help the project, would you be willing to take short (<5 min) survey?
https://usc.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_1HQzqcsSFh8zcd6

I know there are a few similar products on the market, but I haven't seem one designed just for SMART. If you know of any companies selling this product, please send me the links :)

Also, if you have thoughts about this that didn't come through on the survey, please post them as a reply to this thread.

Thanks for your time! I appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Posted mine as well. I suggested an alternative project would be to develop a towable and efficient gas-powered generator for use with the smart ED. This would turn the ED into an extended range electric vehicle like the Chevy Volt, but it would have the added benefit of not having to tow the generator when the ED is being driven around town. It would do a lot to alleviate "range anxiety" with EVs like the smart ED.

The concept was proven by Allan Cocconi (AC Propulsion):

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
AC propulsion also proved that the concept was horribly inefficient.
As I recall, with the genset running on the trailer, the average fuel economy worked out to around 20MPG or less. Better to rent an ICE (infernal combustion engine).

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
AC propulsion also proved that the concept was horribly inefficient.
As I recall, with the genset running on the trailer, the average fuel economy worked out to around 20MPG or less. Better to rent an ICE (infernal combustion engine).
Others quote 30-35 mpg for most cars; while not stellar, it's hardly horribly inefficient.

Genset trailer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I believe the 20 mpg was achieved when the Long Ranger genset was used with the Toyota Rav4 EV (a small SUV), so 20 mpg for that setup is not surprising.

http://tzev.com/files/rxt-g_acp_long_ranger_IV_owners_user_manual.pdf

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Click "Other" and type "None" in the box.

After I completed the survey I suggested he Google " trailer clubsmartcar.com "

Regards,

Dan
not seeing the other
Do you participate in any of the following activities?
Boating
Camping
Canoeing
Cycling
Kayaking
Sailing
Hiking

·
Registered
106 Posts
great project

I agree with the last post. Should be an option for none of the above, or, ask what we intend to use a trailer for which in my case would be for luggage for trips, cooler etc. Great project...good luck with your research.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
I took the survey and I marked very interested, but I would probably build it myself. Why? Because I'm and engineer and can design a sailboat [that would seat two] and trailer that should be less than 300 Lb. and a teardrop trailer that would likewise be around 300 Lb. A bike rack is sufficient to carry 2 bikes, so I don't see a need to use a trailer for that.

Also you could change the question "Do you participate in any of the following activities?" to "Do you, or would you like to, participate in any of the following activities?"

Keep in mind that the smart is NOT rated for towing, so you may have serious liability concerns if you make something specifically for it to tow. I think 500 Lb is a more reasonable target weight (but obviously you lose some utility with a lower weight), but that's where the engineering (as opposed to just slapping something together) comes in.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
not seeing the other
Do you participate in any of the following activities?
Boating
Camping
Canoeing
Cycling
Kayaking
Sailing
Hiking
Oops, my bad. I answered "other" in the question prior to that and answered "camping" to this set of questions.

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
I referred the OP to the clubsmartcar.com website so he could see a lightweight trailer that was already on the market. Turns out Amazon bought the company out in 2009. Amazon.com: Yakima Rack and Roll 66in Trailer: Sports & Outdoors

The trailer weighs 150# and is rated to carry 250#.

Regards,

Dan
now you're talking! that could haul a bit of gear, bikes or a small boat (BTW, the Sherpa is the little sail boat I was looking to build -- 2-up sailing or rowing, and the boat is under 100 LB:
Duckworks - Projects
Sherpa

It's a bit expensive though -- I'm guessing you could DIY that considerably cheaper...

maybe something like this could be adapted -- it a fair amount less money:

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
Malone Auto Racks MicroSport Trailer Storage Trunk

now you're talking! that could haul a bit of gear, bikes or a small boat (BTW, the Sherpa is the little sail boat I was looking to build -- 2-up sailing or rowing, and the boat is under 100 LB:
Duckworks - Projects
Sherpa

It's a bit expensive though -- I'm guessing you could DIY that considerably cheaper...

maybe something like this could be adapted -- it a fair amount less money:
Amazon.com: Malone MicroSport 2-Boat SeaWing Kayak Trailer Package: Sports & Outdoors
It says those who bought the above also bought the
(Amazon).

It shows how it fits into the trailer. IMO; that is a good idea. :cool: It would free up space in the vehilce for other things. :wink:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts