Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have a 2011 passion with only 26,600 it started misfiring really bad and the check engine light turned on. I took it to get it check i got codes P0300 P0301 P0302 P0303 Misfiring on all 3 cylinders. I took it to my mechanic and when he checked the spark plugs were the incorrect ones and the gap was also incorrect and it was burning lean. After replacing them with NGK. The car is still misfiring but not as bad. He said he will test the fuel maybe the last fuel i put on it had something to do with it. But right now i have no idea what else it could be. Any advise would be helpful.

Thanks

·
Registered
275 Posts
Check fuel pressure. It should be around 42 PSI. I believe the Smart's ECU has no error codes for low fuel pressure, which is just as well as it has no way to check it anyway. The pressure regulator for the fuel is built into the fuel pump on the Smart (it's in the tank).

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Try some Star Tron by Starbrite. Advance Auto parts almost always has it. It will disperse water and other particles. I've seen bad gas do horrible things to my smart. Star-tron has helped me out on more than one occasion.
NGK plk7ra plugs made a difference where previous low mileage irridium plugs should have still been fine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check fuel pressure. It should be around 42 PSI. I believe the Smart's ECU has no error codes for low fuel pressure, which is just as well as it has no way to check it anyway. The pressure regulator for the fuel is built into the fuel pump on the Smart (it's in the tank).
Ok thanks I will let my mechanic know probably he already checked but just in case.
Where did you fuel up last time?
Shell gas. Never used it before only got 220 miles out of a full tank where other gas i get 350+
Try some Star Tron by Starbrite. Advance Auto parts almost always has it. It will disperse water and other particles. I've seen bad gas do horrible things to my smart. Star-tron has helped me out on more than one occasion.
NGK plk7ra plugs made a difference where previous low mileage irridium plugs should have still been fine.
I will go buy a bottle tomorrow thanks for the advise

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,184 Posts
Shell normally is good stuff. 220 miles is definitely abnormal. The question is, as in the chicken and egg, did the gas make the car sick or did the sick car cause poor mileage?
Could be a local gas station problem. Which one so I can avoid it :).
I've also heard good things about the StarBrite product.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Some of the best and worst gas I've gotten has been Shell. I use it all the time from a Quality station across the street from our complex.
I've gotten it horribly wrong from a high priced at the interstate shell. Every thing in the store was outrageously priced, all for maximum profit. Same sign on the pumps as back home, but some of the worst gas I've ever had to burn thru.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Walmart also carries it in the boating section for cheaper :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I got this. Now i just have to go to the mechanic put some in and fill it and see if it works

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so I got the car back and he said everything was fine I turned it on and yay no check engine light and the car was running smoothly on my way home the check engine light went back on and it lost power. If I'm on a stop light and I hit the gas pedal it feels like it chokes Also when I'm running it with the AC on i have less power with the gas all the way down it wont pass 50mph when i turn the AC off it wont go over 60 MPH. So now i have no idea what else it could be. Was thinking to take it to another mechanic I have that is cheaper and would check my car in detail.

Any other advice ill appreciate.

Oh and I also added the Star-Tron but no difference

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Ok so I got the car back and he said everything was fine I turned it on and yay no check engine light and the car was running smoothly on my way home the check engine light went back on and it lost power. If I'm on a stop light and I hit the gas pedal it feels like it chokes Also when I'm running it with the AC on i have less power with the gas all the way down it wont pass 50mph when i turn the AC off it wont go over 60 MPH. So now i have no idea what else it could be. Was thinking to take it to another mechanic I have that is cheaper and would check my car in detail.

Any other advice ill appreciate.

Oh and I also added the Star-Tron but no difference

With all the electro-nannies running, the engine won't rev past about 2500 rpm while stopped at a light. It's a safety feature built in. All smarts do that. You need to get a code reader, and see why it's not happy. It could be any number of things.

Also, you will need to run at least a tank through the car to see any benefit from a fuel treatment. Don't expect to pour it in, and boom!... instantly the car runs better. It needs to have several hundred miles to work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts