Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2015 ED has some blemishes on the plastic/acrylic exterior panels that don't respond to regular cleaning. I have used Car Wash, Dawn, and a chamois with a lot of elbow grease. Nothing seems to remove these marks. It's almost as if the marks (there's a part that look like a handprint) have embedded themselves into the finish. Is there a way to remove these? I'm hesitant to use a rubbing compound or something that could eat away the plastic. Any recommendations?

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
I have had good results using claybar cleaning system and a lot of elbow grease. It will take imperfections out of the clearcoat and erases swirl marks.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Try polishing compound not rubbing compound. Or the suggested claybar. Or a cleaner-wax. If none of these work, the imperfections may be in the clearcoat itself and not removable at all. Use a light hand so you do not cut through the clearcoat or paint.

·
17,473 Posts
I've used some Meguiar's Ultimate Polish to remove some imperfections in my clearcoat. So long as the damage didn't go completely through the clearcoat it'll work like a charm. :)

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, folks. I have claybar, but not an orbital buffer. I'll try that.

I also have some spray, Dri-Wash-N-Guard, which has proved very nifty for waterless cleaning in winter. I might give it a try, too.

·
17,473 Posts
If Virginia salts their roads, make sure you get an underbody wash every once in a while during the winter.

I used to sell that waterless washing stuff; some people use it as their sole way of washing their cars. Sure, their cars look pretty on the outside but the underbodies are almost always rusty crusty nightmares.

Reactions: Smart Bob

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If Virginia salts their roads, make sure you get an underbody wash every once in a while during the winter.

I used to sell that waterless washing stuff; some people use it as their sole way of washing their cars. Sure, their cars look pretty on the outside but the underbodies are almost always rusty crusty nightmares.
Virginia has turned to brining the roads rather than spreading salt. Chemically, I imagine it's much the same, but less gunk to get trapped in an underbody.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Clear coat is stained, from something. Like what bird dropping, does to clear coat. You need to take your vehicle to a detailer have the car mechically polished. If that doesn't work. You clear coat is premently damaged.

You might want to try this product, before going the detailer route. Designed to take out fine scratches, stains and
Blemlishes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts