Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbie, read a few posts here and googled a bit, I wanted to direct wire my dash cam to my 2008 Smart Fortwo, so I bought the following items from Amazon:
a.
Amazon.com: EDO Tech® Direct Mini USB Hardwire Car Charger Cable Kit for TomTom One 2nd 3Rd Edition XL Series, Magellan RoadMate Maestro Series, Mio Moov Navman Digiwalker, Navigon Primo GPS (no traffic receiver function): Cell Phones & Accessories

b.
Amazon.com: Littelfuse FHA200BP ATO Add-A-Circuit Kit: Automotive

c.
Amazon.com: Gardner Bender 20-143F 16-14 Gauge Blue Female Terminal Disconnects, 20-Pack: Home Improvement

Steps:
1. I connected two fuses 3 and 7.5 to the add-a-circuit kit, I believe the 7.5 one is for the dash cam (dark one in the tiny picture below, it's in the same "slot layer" of the cable).
2. I inserted the red wire into the metal tube under the blue plastic cover of the add-a-circuit kit, used a piler to sqeeuze the blue plastic cover, but it wasn't secured so took step 3:
3. I used electric tape to make sure the red wire and blue plastic cover are connected.
4. I put the female terminal disconnect on one fuse blade.
5. I connect the fuse blade to R1/36 (and tried R2/37 later), I didn't connect the black wire to the ground bolt though (but I don't think this is the reason...)
6. I connected the mini USB to the dash cam and started the car.
7. The cam doesn't turn on.

I had no background in electric or auto DIY, this task seemed easy to me that's why I did it. Great setback! :(

Please help! Thank you.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Great question. Welcome to the forum.

I just run a G1W cam to the cigarette lighter and works for me. I know you will find everything you want to do on SCOA. Good idea to always have a car cam. Interested in hearing ideas or viewing old SCOA links.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You have to ground every circuit. Use an available screw to ground it and make sure there is bare metal for a good connection.
Thanks for your reply, but is this the reason why it was not working? I saw another post doesn't even have a black (ground) wire..

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Stretch is right. Just like your battery has a positive and a negative to feed everything, your devices must have a return path to complete the circuit to ground. Just like a light bulb will never light if you run a positive wire to one of the two connections on a bulb, if the second wire doesn't complete the circuit to ground- brown in a US smart, that bulb isn't going to light up. Nor will your camera work.

Ohm's law has not been repealed. :D

I'm also concerned about the connection that you taped. A properly crimped connection beats a taped together connection any day. Properly soldered is even better.
A car audio shop may be able to help you for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
287 Posts
your direct mini USB wire has a red and black wire at the end of it.

When you added a circuit to the fuse panel, only the red wire should be connected to the fuse. The black wire needs to go to a ground as others have mentioned.

When that is done correctly, there will be a small LED that will light up on the small black box of your mini USB wire.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71azD6PW50L._SL1500_.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
What about the connection? doesn't look very secure as only 1 blade is inserted into the fuse box...

Should I consider using the mini fuse adapter kit and share it with thing like #5 - Fog Lights, LED DRLs, which my car doesn't have?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you very much for the electric 101 lession :D

Also I feel the connection is not very secure and it may fall because only 1 blade is inserted into the fuse box, any suggestion on how to get the fuse connect more secure?

Stretch is right. Just like your battery has a positive and a negative to feed everything, your devices must have a return path to complete the circuit to ground. Just like a light bulb will never light if you run a positive wire to one of the two connections on a bulb, if the second wire doesn't complete the circuit to ground- brown in a US smart, that bulb isn't going to light up. Nor will your camera work.

Ohm's law has not been repealed. :D

I'm also concerned about the connection that you taped. A properly crimped connection beats a taped together connection any day. Properly soldered is even better.
A car audio shop may be able to help you for a reasonable price.
your direct mini USB wire has a red and black wire at the end of it.

When you added a circuit to the fuse panel, only the red wire should be connected to the fuse. The black wire needs to go to a ground as others have mentioned.

When that is done correctly, there will be a small LED that will light up on the small black box of your mini USB wire.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71azD6PW50L._SL1500_.jpg
You have to ground every circuit. Use an available screw to ground it and make sure there is bare metal for a good connection.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts