Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have a 2009 Smart For Two that I have owned for 10 years. it has 40,000 miles on it. About nine months I had it in the shop and spent $1000 having routine stuff done. Afterward, there was an issue with ther car going into "safety mode " which was explained to me that it does to "protect the engine "
The only problem with it was the windshield motor had burned out and the steering was intermittently really hard , like the motor was coming on and off
It ran perfectly not warning lights
One day I was driving alone and the engine just cut out, requiring me to coast to a standstill and then having it towed,
No noises, no warning lights, no problems with engines, etc
My mechanic has told me that the "engine is damaged " My daughter tells me because I did not put oil in it ( which is untrue and no lights !! )
AAAAAHhhhhhhhhh
Ideas ??

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,097 Posts
My mechanic has told me that the "engine is damaged "
Probably need to start with your mechanic - ask for more details as a "damaged" smart engine is usually the end of the road without some major expenditures.

As jwight suggests, we are not going to be able to "virtually" solve this one with the information that you have shared?

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Start with the alternator.

While I never ran an engine dry I suspect some sort of (grinding) sound with lack of oil.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
17,697 Posts
If it were low on oil you should have been greeted by an oil light and awful metal on metal tappety sounds from the engine. I recently sprung a leak from my oil pan and was greeted by said oil light and tappety sounds.

I also second the opinion of pressing the mechanic on "engine is damaged".

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have had some similar experiences. Unless you have a lot of free time and nothing better to spend it on my guess is that chances are you will waste much time and not get far. From a practical point of view I would suggest finding a pro.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The 50 amp fuse in the battery compartment will give a check engine light and a code but it will not cause the engine to stop running. I know from experience.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts