Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving to QT about a block away. Hit a curb, bet the front left tire rim and put a hole in the tire about the size of a quarter. If I go to the dealership will they be able to supply me with a new tire rim, tire and hubcap? Also, as far as I can tell there is no jack or wrench for removing the bolts, do they carry those too. Looks like ( According to the manual ) I need a special jack as well. Any suggestions? Is this going to screw up the TPMS monitor as well?

·
Registered
536 Posts
If all you need is a steel wheel, they shouldn't have any trouble fixing you up. The car does not come with a jack. If your car is new, remember you have roadside assistance. Look at the top side of your visor for the number. Otherwise, get AAA.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Call ahead to your dealership.

Ask if they have a FRONT rim, tire in stock (fronts and rears are different size rims and tires. Also ask about the hubcap.

You would probably do better price wise getting a "take off" rim from smartmadness.com? and tire from tirerack.com (if you can wait for shipping)

Depending on where the rim is dinged, you might have to get a new TPMS? Again tirerack.com has good prices?

If you bought it new, did the dealer offer (and did you take & pay for) the "wheel & tire warranty"?
If yes, then they will replace it?

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
Happen to us last winter. Order a take off wheel, from smart madness. A lot cheaper then buying from the dealership. It would have cost more to have the alloy fixed.

Here is the correct jack dimensions……………..

·
Super Moderator
11,212 Posts
The dealer should be able to set you up with a replacement wheel/tire setup, but that could get expensive. For a jack, you could get a scissors jack just about anywhere that will do the trick. Most of them have a slot in the top plate that will do the trick in lifting your car. For a tire wrench,many people use a 15mm socket and a torque wrench purchased from Harbor Freight or other tool supply places that sell discount tools. Using a torque wrench will make sure the wheel is tightened down to specs without over tightening, which can warp rotors or damage things. I think Walmart would even have what you need for a lot less cash outlay.

We all have learned to watch for potholes and curbs, the Brabus aluminum rims are especially soft and bend quite easily. be glad you have the steel wheels. Smart Madness also has quite a few stock rims or 'takeoff' rims from when they upgrade cars with new aftermarket rims.

Tire Rack charges about $35 for TPMS sensors, Amazon has about the same price. They are the same sensors Chrysler uses. The dealer will charge over $100 for the same sensor. Your old sensor may be OK if it didn't take a direct hit. Usually you have to call Tire Rack for TPMS sensors, they don't list them on their website.

Wrumbarger is right, front and rear rims are different widths.If you run 2 different widths on the front, your Traction control will get confused and handling may suffer.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If all you need is a steel wheel, they shouldn't have any trouble fixing you up. The car does not come with a jack. If your car is new, remember you have roadside assistance. Look at the top side of your visor for the number. Otherwise, get AAA.
Called roadside assistance. They towed the car to the dealership. Called the dealership and they said they are booked and car won't be ready until Tuesday afternoon. Needs new tire, rim, hubcap and possibly TPMS sensor replaced. Oh well. Thanks for all your suggestions.
That's just ridiculous, something as simple as a tire, rim and hubcap replace and it will take 4 days ( Of course Monday is a holiday, so actually 3 days ). This will be the last Smart car I drive.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
That's just ridiculous, something as simple as a tire, rim and hubcap replace and it will take 4 days ( Of course Monday is a holiday, so actually 3 days ). This will be the last Smart car I drive.
Feeling your pain BUT, bet if you called your local Chevy dealer on a three day weekend (with a skeleton crew) and a full schedule, the turn around would be very similar - Murphy's Law.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Once you get rolling again, buy another front rim and tire to carry behind the seat as a spare. Then get the wrench and jack & you will be ready for the next flat, front or rear.
How the heck does one run into a curb that hard?
Did you not have the choice of having the car taken to your home, or the nearest tire dealer, etc.?

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
They had a window switch for our Honda in parts today. A 3 day weekend too. That's Honda.

smart never keeps anything in parts. Took a week to get a blower motor, for our car. Petty common part, known to fail, too. You kind need that item in the winter time. Glad they can got you fixed up for next Tuesday. You must have really hit that curb hard. Surprise their not making you buy 2 tires. You must not have that much tire wear. We didn't need a new tire, or TPM sensor.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Well, WAH! :crying:

Not following your logic here. You hit an inanimate object and it's the car's fault? Do I have that right?

Many modern cars do not have a jack or spare tire. Odds are, you break just about any car at the start of a holiday weekend and you will be in Walk Mode until the following week.

Could be worse. No blood. Still sucks.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's hard to blame the car for this. If you had some basic tools, you could buy all you need from the parts department and have it done in 30 minutes.
Ya, I'm going to get a spare, jack and lug wrench and throw them in the back.

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
I kept my old wheel for a spare now. It still holds air. Got a old worn tire for it. I keep it in the garage, for emergency. Since I bought a jack kit. I always have them on had. The jack is in the car. Call the wife, she brings the spare.

I've had 2 flat now. Since we have more then one car. We can take the flat one up to a tire store to have it fixed. No down car time for us anymore.

I'd buy another steel wheel and a tire, if I were you, or buy a car with a spare. Our other 2 small cars have a spare tire.

You might look into a spare set up like this…………

Good Luck.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
I'd just get the jack from Harbor Freight as suggested above. Save your money as all it does is lift your car on rare occasion.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm with jefferios - the Harbor Freight jack works fine. I've used it, plus a Harbor Freight breaker bar and 15mm socket, so I could take the front wheels off to clean off the brake dust. Hopefully the next time I'll use it will be when I'm ready to install the O'Reilly ceramic pads - and as fast as the wheels are getting dirty again, it won't be long!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts