Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
I found today that my right-hand headlight is out . . . just before this Sunday's SF Club drive! Normally I wouldn't be concerned because it would be a matter of going to Kragen and getting a new bulb. However, these are dealer-installed HID's? How are these different from that perspective, and aren't they supposed to last a lot longer, or are they just brighter?

Is this something I should go to the dealer about? If so, would it be a warranty thing? Or, is this a simple matter of finding the right HID bulb and replacing it like a normal one?

Appreciate your help,
Carl:eek:

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Smart SF?

If it's the kit I saw on display, think they are factory accessory and should be under warranty.
Yep it is Smart SF. It was a dealer upgrade. The question would be: is it normal for an HID to burn out in its 2nd year? (honestly, I don't know--I wouldn't be surprised if it was a normal halogen bulb). If not, then I guess it would be a warrenty thing. If it is not a warrenty thing, I hope HID bulbs aren't too expensive. I can get a halogen bulb for like $8.

·
Vendor
3,557 Posts
There are no OEM HID kits. The only set of HID ever made specifically for the smart is offered by us and we have never sold any smart specific HID kits to SF.

So, based on this they are probably buying generic HID kits and simply fitting them on the smart. If it is a generic kit the issue you had is pretty common. On the cheaper kits it happens pretty frequently, on the higher price units it still happens, but not as often.

Your issue was caused by either the ballast going out or the bulb. My suggestion would be to run it by the dealer and have them fix it. If they end up wanting to charge you give us a call and we can help you out. We deal directly with the largest manufacturer of HIDs in the world. If it is made, they probably made it or have a unit that will match.

Our number is 562-961-6800. Call us if we can be of assistance.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, false alarm. I went to the dealer and it turns out I have a xenon headlight kit as my dealer upgrade. However, when the tech took the bulb out, he said "hey, that's not a xenon bulb!". They had forgot to put in the upgraded lights when I got the car (I was thinking they were very white for xenon lights). Everyone there was very apologetic and they helped me out immediately. I'll get my xenons put in next week, and they installed a free replacement halogen bulb to hold me over until then. I'm not upset with them at all--it was an honest mistake that happened in '08 and they were very helpful. I'm actually stoked that I'll get to see the difference it makes on my car after driving with stock bulbs for so long.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Xenon is another term for HID (HID Bulbs are metal halide bulbs filled with Xenon gas.)

You mean that they sold you the upgrade, and then failed to install it? No wonder they were happy to accommodate you, as you could take legal action for that.

I'm also curious, it was my understanding that replacing halogen bulbs with HID was against federal regulations. Does the dealer feel differently?

-Fred

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No wonder they were happy to accommodate you, as you could take legal action for that.

I'm also curious, it was my understanding that replacing halogen bulbs with HID was against federal regulations. Does the dealer feel differently?

-Fred
If they had not been helpful it would have been a different story :) I'm assuming it was just an honest mistake. They printed a list of the upgrades I paid for, and next week they are going to verify that each one is there. As for the bulbs, I have no idea about federal regs, etc, nor what the dealer would have done had it been a xenon bulb that went out. I suppose it would be helpful to know what to do once an HID bulb actually does go out. Anyone know?

·
Super Moderator
28,786 Posts
Are these XENON HID light systems street legal?
Every country and jurisdiction has its own rules and regulations governing the use of automotive lighting. XENON H.I.D. lighting systems that are supplied with the vehicles from the factory are DOT / E approved. The same OEM manufacturers that supply all the major car companies of the world also make our kits. NO XENON H.I.D. lighting system available from any source is DOT / E approved if installed outside of the factory. These kits are not street legal for use on public roads as they are. As a result, we officially endorse the kit for exhibition and off-road use and will only sell the kit to be used for these purposes. We are not responsible for customers who violate the terms of sale in which they will assume all responsibilities for any unauthorized or unintended use other than exhibition or off-road use.

·
Registered
787 Posts
If they had not been helpful it would have been a different story :) I'm assuming it was just an honest mistake. They printed a list of the upgrades I paid for, and next week they are going to verify that each one is there. As for the bulbs, I have no idea about federal regs, etc, nor what the dealer would have done had it been a xenon bulb that went out. I suppose it would be helpful to know what to do once an HID bulb actually does go out. Anyone know?
Usually when a bulb goes out you check with your Distributor you brought it from and if they can't help then they will probably give you the phone number for the manufacturer.

We just recently came out with an HID kit specifically made for the Smart. Unlike other HID kit, ours comes with a No Hassle Lifetime Warranty. Also, if you had any problems, we would take care of your warranty for you.

If you have any questions give us a call: 951-532-7939

·
Registered
755 Posts
Carl you do know I specialize in high end HID lighting technology right? :) I do custom headlight retrofits, redesigning and machining of headlight components before I was playing with the smart car. I'll be happy to take a look at your HID parts and provide the parts for cheap if you need something replaced. :)

Cheers!
Larry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts