Smart Car of America Forum banner

Help installing XM onyX satellite radio

6K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Bizprof 
#1 ·
I have a 2008 Fortwo passion with original radio and recently purchased an XM Onyx unit to get satellite radio. When plugging the power adapter neither the LED nor the radio turn on. I exchanged the unit and I am having the same problem with the new one. However, the power adapters for my cellphone and GPS work just fine.

Does anybody have this same issue? Does anybody have any suggestions about this? Is it that the smart does not provide enough power in the lighter adapter or could it be something else?

Thanks for your help

#2 · (Edited)
:welcome: to SCoA! Tell us more - are you using the 12v outlet below the center stack? Since other items work fine I can only assume it's a problem with the XM power plug - might not be seated fully or not quite the right size. Could also be a defective power cord. FWIW, I had an XM Roady2 in our 08 and 09 and it worked fine with the 12v outlet. Once you have three posts you can add some photos. :)

#5 ·
Problem solved

Thanks for your replies. Looks like the socket is not deep enough for the adapter. To resolve it I got a 2-outlet splitter for about $7 and it had enough space to fit the XM's adapter plus now I have the option to charge my cell phone or GPS at the same time.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.