Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I saw a thread on the on the fourm that explained how to wire up some after market DRL. I bought the lights but now am LOST and can't find the Thread. It might have been on a different Fourm. What I remember was that it was not a kit but just a light wired directly into a fuse box. So it was on any time the engine was running. I've installed the Lights on the car but don't know where to attach the wires. HELP I LOST the directions.
Thanks
Kent

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I don’t remember exactly but run the positive wire through the firewall on drivers side and attach it to left side of fuse box on one of the places that is live with key on. Someone else here will fill in the correct details. Did this on my 451 I had - maybe 4 years ago.

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
If you look at the fuse box (drivers side floor by where your left foot sits) the 2nd from the top on the side closest to the door is tied to the ignition and only has power when the key is on. I hooked my driving LEDS on that with a spade connector. There is a ground connection right next to it too (brown wires) Add an inline fuse too!!

copied from a previous post

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Just curious. Usually ground can be connected closer to the light/DRL in this case. Is there no good place to ground near the front than ground run to the passenger compartment?

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
That’s what I did when I installed the DRLs - grounded in the front bay. I also put an inline fuse in the power line as indicated previous post.

·
Super Moderator
17,480 Posts
Not sure. I think it’s more that it’s just easier to do it from the passenger compartment. You’re already running the hot wire and the fuse to the SAM and the grounding post is right there in the same footwell. It’s really easy to get to. Plus, being inside means it’s protected from the elements.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are amazing! Thanks for all your help. Great to have a forum where people are so helpful. Really appreciate all of you. Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts