Smart Car of America Forum banner

Help please! three bars and gremlins in electrical

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Leroy 
#1 ·
back agian! just when i had thought i had licked the three bars of death syndrom it reared up agian, i took the multiplug connector off the tranny gearbox selctor cleaned and then resealed with silicone on the outside , and it drive fine, i also lubed the clutch actuator rod and resealed that as well, so far so good then on the way home i hit a small puddle and its back, goes into idle, wont shift, ect, recycling everything doesnt help, so i unhook the ground cable, wait and recycle to start, and i can drive again. i go home park it inthe garage and the next day climb in to start and its back , three bars!!, so this time im looking for wires chafed ect, and no luck. i unhook the ground, wait and recycle back on and this time i have the engine cover off, and its sounds like the 4 way flashers are on, only the whole dash is lighting up, all the warning lites, everything...
Im thinking the box attached to the airbox has somehow got wet and its plugs are now wet as well.... can anyone steer me to what to look for? Im about to take the unit off and look but it looks like a pain inthe ass...
anyone??? steveg scg13803@yahoo.com email me with any suggestions..

#3 ·
been dicking around as for a fix of my re-occuring three bars.. now for a twist in this.
i put the car up for the winter with three bars still an issue. last time i had this it left me stranded, and late for work. not good. replaced the battery with a 700cca unit, still i have random 3 bars, actuator is clean and lubed, connectors all clean, no chafed wires that I can see. the twist to this problem is i still have three bars, yet can get car in gear, forward and reverse, and drive.. but dont trust it enough to go far... and my trust in my smart is now very low. with a collection of odd and unusual cars i am somewhat used to breakdowns, but most are easily solved.
the complicated wiring is what perplexes me,, why so complicated?
on a side note, MB dealer close by in SYRACUSE NY absolutely will not budge on help with anything..I need the STAR machine to help diagnose but they refuse..
any other 450 owners wanna chime in on this... please do so.. i need help. its get it fixed or DUMP IT. another brick in the garage.

#5 ·
It might be worth taking a trip North of the border, if you are close-ish to Syracuse. I am occasionally near Kingston, Ontario, and there is another member on CsC close-ish also. Both of us have STAR machines. If co-ordinated properly, I think both of us would be willing to help. If you were able to get up to Williamsburg Ontario, there is a great independent smart mechanic who loves electrical work and is equipped with a STAR machine also.

Of course, that would all require getting the car there, which may not be very easy.

Your problem really sounds related to chafed wires in my mind though. Possibly a holed clutch fork that is occasionally catching.

#6 ·
thanks for the help and sorry for not getting back so soon
the local MB dealer wouldnt even ackowledge they had a star machine let alone hook into my car.
BUT i bet if i showed up in my friends MB compressor roadster they would **** all over themselves to help.. its a thought..
steveg..

yes a road trip might be in order but will wait until spring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.