Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I feel like Im running out of options here so I hope to find some help att his forum...
I've had lots of issues with my Smart lately. Its a 451 -07, half-manual gearbox with the flappy pedals.

A few weeks back I changed one of my break pads as it was metal to metal on the left side. The right pad had about half its lifespan left so I left it be. Shortly after the ABS-light came on, not much of an issue i thought until the snow came. (I live in Sweden, it's about -20C here at the moment.)
As if that wasnt enough, a few days after I couldnt put the car into gear. It was stuck in neutral with the "N" blinking on the dash. It could be forced into first gear if i pushed up on the stick, impossible to get it into reverse that way though. Heres a video from a few weeks ago:

So, I've been pushing my car out of the parkinglot and strategically parking the last week... I thought I'd get to this issue later in spring when the temperature had gone up a bit.

A few hours ago I was going to pick up my girlfriend and to my happy surprise the car wouldnt start. So I went to push it out first and then start it, but it wouldnt move.
The car was stuck in first gear and it wouldnt go into neutral... Read some posts on this forum, one said to disconnect the battery for a while and force the computer to reset.
(http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f353/car-wont-start-locked-gear-28659/)

So I did. Waited about 30 minutes. Plugged the battery back in and now this showed up: https://imgur.com/a/rYEPW

Im about to give up... If anyone of you know what I should do to fix this I'd be so very greatful

Best regards,
Sweden

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey Buddy

I have all kinds of the same problem with my smarts, i live in norther canada and looks like them cars don't like the cold
With out looking at the car sounds like you may have a couple problems

When its very cold my car give me some kind of ABS, ESC code and the car is stuck in park, do you get that one ???

I am willing to bet that your clutch actuator is broken, so far i busted 3 of them, look under the car and get your girl friend to turn the key and see if the actuator pushes in the clutch
http://files.fernatt.com/maint/IMG_0420.JPG
If not there is one of your problem.

When you were driving forward did you have all 5 gears ???

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Biggermens: Might be the cold, I guess. Just think its a bit weird that it comes just after I've been fiddling with the breaks.
I haven't seen any error codes or lamps pop up other than the ABS-light... It haven't been stuck in park as the half automatic doesnt have "park"
Its only "Neutral", "Reverse" and the "+/-". I was a problem getting into gear for a bit though, or getting out of neutral I should say. The "N"-symbol started to blink instead of go into first, or reverse.

Thanks for the image! If I can somehow reset my computer that'll be the first thing I'll check out!

Yeah, I've had all the 5 gears except the reverse.

Thank you very much for the answer!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Biggermens: Might be the cold, I guess. Just think its a bit weird that it comes just after I've been fiddling with the breaks.
I haven't seen any error codes or lamps pop up other than the ABS-light... It haven't been stuck in park as the half automatic doesnt have "park"
Its only "Neutral", "Reverse" and the "+/-". I was a problem getting into gear for a bit though, or getting out of neutral I should say. The "N"-symbol started to blink instead of go into first, or reverse.

Thanks for the image! If I can somehow reset my computer that'll be the first thing I'll check out!

Yeah, I've had all the 5 gears except the reverse.

Thank you very much for the answer!
I have never seen one with out park hehe what year is your car ??
Try to re learn the transmission, there is a way in the book but i can never get that way to work for me.
I disconnect the negative on my battery for a good hour to make sure, its reset, listen real good when you plug it in, or turn the key i don't remember, you will here it teach it self wear are the gears..
You got nothing to lose try that,
Check the ABS wires were you work on your brakes, maybe there is something unplugged or broken.
Did you check if your clutch actuator is working ???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts