Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally got around to getting the replacement for my broken tail gate latch.

I'm trying to get one of the bolts off. It's the one that the cable/line that holds up the tail gate is attached to, a large black one. It JUST WON'T MOVE!

Any suggestions? HELP! :(

EDIT! FIXED!!! Nevermind! I went and got this MONSTER Torx bit for my big ratchet that my dad gave me and TADA! Got it right out! Took LITERALLY 3 seconds to drop out the old latch, push in the new one!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Took mine in to the dealership in San Antonio and it took them all frigging day plus they put a put scratch right down the middle of my license plate. How they did that is beyond me.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Took mine in to the dealership in San Antonio and it took them all frigging day plus they put a put scratch right down the middle of my license plate. How they did that is beyond me.
That really sucks! I wish they had not scratched your car for sure!
My only problem was getting that one screw to turn loose, otherwise that's about the easiest repair I have ever done on anything! Once that screw came out and I pulled the back panel away, the old latch dropped out, and I picked the new one up, slipped it back into place, put the screws back and it was done! Really just plug and play!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And, ... The part was $35. The Torx bit for my ratchet was in a set of 5 professional quality bits for $9. Time spent was under an hour, with that moment of frustration trying to loosen the ONE SCREW. I even tried using vice grips. I simply needed a sturdier tool in my hand, instead of the cheapo one I was attempting to use. Having the right tool cannot be understated here!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts