Smart Car of America Forum banner

Herb Has A Flat

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  BigWarpGuy 
#1 ·
On Friday the 27th of June, my little car had a flat tire. It was the left back tire. The valve stem was loose. There were two pieces of broken metal in the rim / cover. I realize later it was the bolt type device to keep the stem in place. I used the inflation kit to inflate the tire. It was inflated. It was the first time I used the kit. Later, I tried to drive home but it went flat again. I went to inflate it again but the air valve was gone. I was able to get it towed home.

I bought a wrench and a jack for it. The wrench had four different sizes but none was small enough for the lug nuts on the Smart. Who would have the size for those lug nuts? Would I have to have it towed to a Smart center to have the tire worked on?

This is the first flat I have had in the six plus years that I have owned Herb the Smart Fortwo Pure. :crying: He is in the parking lot not going anywhere for now. :(

#4 ·
Any auto parts store, hardware store, even Home Depot or Lowe's will carry a 15mm socket. I take my lug bolts off with just a 1/4" ratchet. I have 1/2" ratchets, but they are not needed for the smart if your lugs have not been overtightened by some yoyo with an air impact gun. Good luck.

#5 ·
There is a torque value that should be adhered to - 81 ft-lbs or 110 nm. If you tighten up to the correct torque, there will be no problem getting them loose and there is no need for any anti-seize or lube of any kind. No need to Conan them on and certainly ask any tire shops to hand torque them.

Len

#6 ·
This is a rebuild kit. The problem usually is the actual valve stem part sticks to the collar and breaks requiring replacment of the sensor. You very rarely have the nut lossening from the stem without someone playing with it.It is torqued into placed.
I have never seen anyone take a lug bolt or nut off with a quarter inch ratchet, maybe 3/8 but not quarter. That is at least 80 ft lbs of torque.:eek:

#9 ·
This is a rebuild kit. The problem usually is the actual valve stem part sticks to the collar and breaks requiring replacment of the sensor. You very rarely have the nut lossening from the stem without someone playing with it.It is torqued into placed.
I have never seen anyone take a lug bolt or nut off with a quarter inch ratchet, maybe 3/8 but not quarter. That is at least 80 ft lbs of torque.:eek:

Amazon.com: Schrader 20013 TPMS Service Pack fits Chrysler Dodge Jeep, single unit: Automotive
You are absolutely right......my goof up.....I meant 3/8 not 1/4. Sorry....:shrug:

#10 ·
I took the tire to the Smart Center Edison (NJ). They put a new tire on it and a new valve stem. It took about an hour. When I got home, I put it on Herb. Unlike most cars that have bolts that one can put the rim / tire on when putting it back on, there were just holes for the lug bolts. I was able to get the tire in place and screw them in. I tightened them up. I would tighten one then the next then the third. I went around until they were all tightened. It is staying on. My Herb is on the road again and I am a happy camper. I put it on yesterday (06/30/2014) and drove it to and from work. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.