Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed when turning the key of our 2015 Pure all the way to "start" there is sometimes a split second delay before the starter motor spins. Is starting a function that goes through the computer (computers sometimes have to think for a second before choosing a function) or is it a direct, mechanical switch, which would mean I have a bad switch or loose connection? Any experience on this? The car has only 30k miles on the odo. Didn't see anything in FAQ's.

·
Super Moderator
28,977 Posts
Yes. Just blip the key to the start position and release it. That sends a signal to the computer to start the car. :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Our '16 2nd build Passion is "blip proof", and that won't start it. You have to hold it in start for at least a second to engage the starter, and keep holding it 'till it fires up. It always starts OK.

S u b r o s a

·
Super Moderator
28,977 Posts
Our '16 2nd build Passion is "blip proof", and that won't start it. You have to hold it in start for at least a second to engage the starter, and keep holding it 'till it fires up. It always starts OK.

S u b r o s a
That's because it's a Renault.....:D The 453s don't have much in common with earlier versions.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
2016 smart went through a major redesign, earlier smarts were Mitsubishi motors, 2016 were Renault , basically a Twingo adaption. Little bit longer, little bit wider, more lug nuts and larger motor, with more options.

·
17,476 Posts
IIRC, the engines in the 453/Twingo were either partially or wholly developed by the Nissan end of the Nissan-Renault partnership.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A-ha. Thanks for the explanations. Kinda glad we have a Mitsubishi motor. I know it's a C451, because it's with 3 lug wheel nuts and rocket ship tail lights. I think some of the late 2015's were 4 lug.

·
Super Moderator
28,977 Posts
The 453 smarts with four lugs were introduced as 2014 models in Europe. They came to North America as 2016 models. :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
2016 smart went through a major redesign, earlier smarts were Mitsubishi motors, 2016 were Renault , basically a Twingo adaption. Little bit longer, little bit wider, more lug nuts and larger motor, with more options.

Hold on, all the specs I've seen comparing the 453 with the 451 stated that it was about 2" wider, yes, but exactly the same length. Some reviewers on Youtube even said that, depending from where to where the measurements were taken, the 453 was a couple of millimetres shorter.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Four inches wider overall was what smart was saying when the 453 was introduced. :)

OK, four! 0:) I've also seen someone saying four and a half, but whatever it is, apparently it's supposed to make quite a difference to the feeling of spaciousness when driving two up! :laugh:

·
17,476 Posts
Hold on, all the specs I've seen comparing the 453 with the 451 stated that it was about 2" wider, yes, but exactly the same length. Some reviewers on Youtube even said that, depending from where to where the measurements were taken, the 453 was a couple of millimetres shorter.
The 453 is equally as long as the 451, but four inches wider. Keeping the same length was one of the promises smart made as people were concerned about model bloat.

Reactions: Smart Bob
1 - 18 of 18 Posts