Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently did my own service on my 2009 Smart Brabus with 33,000 miles on it. New iridium plugs, oil change, changed to performance air filter. Immediately after, ran smoother than ever before. About a week later, I notice a "hesitation" or slip or a miss (not sure how else to explain) when it is in 3rd or 4th gear (I switch to manual to read what gear for sure) and occasionally in 5th. Haven't really noticed it really in other gears. Just under normal load, normally 30-40MPH range. Under some acceleration, it goes away (maybe due to lower gear???). Also seems more prominent with super cold weather. New plugs were iridium gapped at 0.035. Old plugs I removed (which I'm assuming were factory--were gapped at around 0.055). I was getting mid 40mpg city/hwy mix beforehand...now I'm getting low to mid 30's (possible due to extreme cold???)

Plan to take out the new plugs, examine them, regap and reinstall, to make sure it was all done correctly. I'm also going to take out new air filter, examine connections/housings to make sure was put back together correctly.

Just wanted to see if anyone's had a similar issue??? I thought about cleaning and lining up the clutch actuator in case it is an issue there. But while shifting gears, no issue. Quick (LOL) shifts that seem to engage firmly. Any ideas or other things I should check that could be a cause?!?

·
Super Moderator
17,737 Posts
Is your engine reaching operating temperature in these cold situations?

Mine does that stuff all the time (through all gears) but it smooths out once (or rather, if) the engine reaches operating temperature.

Reactions: Eddie19852004

·
Super Moderator
17,737 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is your engine reaching operating temperature in these cold situations?

Mine does that stuff all the time (through all gears) but it smooths out once (or rather, if) the engine reaches operating temperature.
Now that I think of it, I notice it a lot more when I'm first starting out. I will have to see if there is a difference once it's warmed up???

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Hesitation/miss, harsh shift, etc:

I just experienced a similar situation when I drove my wife's 09 Pure with 12,550 miles today. The gear changes were harsh, and it would seem to hesitate which was either the engine missing or the clutch disengaging. This happened all of a sudden, as the car shifted perfectly before and we even drove it on a 175 mile trip a few days ago. The other thing that happened is when I refueled the car, the gauge didn't read all the way full. l fill the tank on slow auto setting and stop after it clicks off.
To remedy this issue, I backed the car up on ramps, checked the connectors underneath as well as the front motor mount. Nothing amiss. Next, I removed the engine cover and checked the hoses and connections and again, nothing amiss. Finally, I disconnected the battery for 30 minutes, reconnected it, rebooted the transmission, which read OK once I reconnected the battery, and took it out for a drive. It shifts like it should and the fuel gauge is now reading properly. Go figure?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The other thing that happened is when I refueled the car, the gauge didn't read all the way full.
I've had that happen a few happen times as well. After driving around a bit, hitting a few bumps, sometimes it goes to FULL again. Not sure if there is a float in these tanks or how the level is read, I just figured something was stuck. Mine only does it if I let it get SUPER close to empty, however.

As far as shifting goes, mine has always (still does) shift great. At first, I was thinking it was the clutch disengaging/engaging rapidly??? But alas, I have no knowledge as far as those things go, so I just made a guess there...no real knowledge to back it up!!! :)

I may try disconnecting the battery things just to see...??? Does it automatically re-learn the transmission or is there a process???

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Transmission Re-Learn Procedure:

When I reconnected the battery, my transmission was showing Park, & when shifted, it would display the gears. The re-learn procedure is simple. With the trans. selector in park, step on the brake pedal, turn the key to position 1, move the selector slowly through the gears and back to park. If the transmission is re-learning, you will hear some clicks coming from the back of the car. After returning to the park position, turn off the key, and then you can re-start the engine. Hopefully, everything will be functioning properly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You aren't by chance driving on snow or ice when this happens? I'm sure you already know how the traction control works...cutting out the power to wheels w/o traction causing hesitations. Just grasping at an improbable straw.
Very good question...but it does on dry pavement!

If only this weather would warm up, I can get out and see what I can find out. I'm just not too mechanically inclined...let alone when it is SUPER cold!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Following up

Hey...sorry it took me a bit to follow up. I removed old plugs and they were gapped correctly at 0.035, plugs were clean and not fouled out but I cleaned them off completely (just in case), applied some spark plug boot grease (which I hadn't done before) and replaced them. Also opened air filter box to double check I got everything bout back together correctly...all looked good. Put it all back together, started it up and ran amazingly smooth. Took it out for a quick drive and problem gone!!! After driving it about a week, has mileage is back to where it was beforehand. Last fill-up was approximately mid 40's range so far. Not sure what it could've been...maybe I just didn't completely tighten a spark plug down??? Either way...problem seems to be solved...know known wood!!! The next day I went ahead and took apart, cleaned and re-lubed the clutch actuator and adjusted it about (maybe a little less than) 1/8th of an inch...my little beast is back again!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts