Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, my name is Dallas and I'm from Ontario (Canada). Just took my green and black fortwo (2005) in for service today and I'm super nervous. Leaking oil :(. The mechanic wants to have a chat with me and I'm pretty anxious!
Any experience with this anyone?
Thanks!!! Have a fantastic day!

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Welcome to sCOA. Club smart Car is an excellent resource for cdi owners like yourself. Do you know where the oil is leaking from, intercooler, transmission, oil pan, turbo?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the welcome!!
Well the turbo needs to replaced as well as a seal (the oil is leaking into the coolant). A grand total of about 2400. Very upsetting.
I just bought the car in May of this year. I feel like this is a major issue for not owning the car for that long.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
How much oil were you losing? Are they quoting prices to rebuilt the turbo or a direct replacement? I can not say that I have ever read of a head gasket failure on a cdi. Have you seen oil in the coolant for yourself?

Did you take it to M-B or an independant?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Ha ha I just got a $4500 bill on my 2006 Harley for a new gearbox and being converted to new style timing chain tensioners

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First of all, let me say - not to be sexist (to those auto savvy ladies!) but I'm a young female who knows nearly nothing about cars.
How much oil? No idea..a few drops daily? Maybe?
I'm assuming the quote is for a scrapped one - about $1800. $600 for this seal.
I have not seen oil in the coolant myself (I don't know where to find coolant, I just know where to put it) Please don't laugh, haha.
The mechanic changed my oil, but I don't know if that's going to help. Very bummed out. I'm afraid to drive it. He said my turbo will blow soon.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I would not drive the car till it's sorted out. You don't want oil and coolant swapping places. $2400 is cheap compared to ruining your engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unfortunately I have no other option. Also I am unable to afford the repairs and I don;t want to ask friends for help. Very bad position I'm in.
Noticed you live in Cali, my sister lives in the Bay area :) very cool.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have several homes. I sure like the weather here the most. My lake house in Eden Prairie MN ...... not so warm now. I'm sorry you are driving the car that way. You need to get another opinion I think and find out who is good in your area. Your smart is pretty rare in the USA which makes matters tougher.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm sorry I am too. I don't want to but I don't have any other option. Have to get to work!
It's hard to find out who's decent in my area. We have a MB dealership, maybe I'll take it there for them to look at (they have a whole line up of smarts, and quite a few people are driving them around).
Thank you kindly for the advice and warm welcome.
I'm not sure where MN is - is that Minnesota? (sorry). It's awfully chilly where I am, but not as bad as those poor folks in Calgary, Alberta!

·
Registered
300 Posts
MN is Minnesota. It was negative 12 there the other day. I just love CA. I own quite a few airplanes and this is a great area to station them. Born and raised here!!!

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
The oil leaked started after the oil change? How much oil did the mechanic put in your car? If it was more than 2.7 litres they over filled it and that may be the cause of the oil leak. The coolant reservior is under the driver's side service flap just under the windshield.

It would be nice to know specifically what the $600 seal is, if it is infact the cost to change the head gasket or something else.

I would recommend joining Club smart Car and see if there is a knowledgeble cdi owner close to you that could take a look at your car. If I was closer I would volunteer.

From personal experience use M-B as a last resort only.

·
Registered
300 Posts
$600 is too cheap for a head gasket repair. Could be a turbo seal allowing oil to mix with coolant? Normally when a turbo seal goes you get coolant into the intake under boost and lots of exhaust smoke. This does not add up so far? A few drips of oil but the car still runs fine ...... hmmmm??? Sounds like my old Mercedes Diesel. And it did that for a few hundred thousand miles!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
By all means get a second opinion. you may be able to find a mechanic that used to be employed by MB that has moved on to a private shop. You may be able to find reputable mechanic in your area on Cartalk.com

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
If the engine is over filled with oil, oil will accumulate at the intake side of the turbo via the crank case vent.

Dallas, if you can check the oil level I would start there. The car should be brought up to operating temperature to do that. It should be half way between the fill line and the full line. That should equate to 2.7L of oil. If there is too much oil in the system, make the mechanic take the excess out.

Also have the mechanic show you the coolant resevoir and the oil that is supposedly inside. If there is oil it will have an oily film look about the coolant. If it is just dark in colour you may simply just need a coolant flush. Unless you know differently from the previous owner the coolant has likely never been changed.

How far have you driven the car since the last oil change?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm in London Ontario. I could put your smart car up on my hoist and give you a better idea what is wrong with your smart car.

Usually the leak is from the intercooler.
Did the mechanic check the boost pressure?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts