Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to Smart cars with the purchase of a 450 Smart CDI (2006). If we in the land of the "free" were allowed to I would have had one since 2006. But that is another story.
We have had several diesels since the 80's but this is definitely the smallest road going one. Presently we have a '94 Ram , a 2003 New Beetle TDI , a 2005 Jeep Liberty CDI , a 2000 Sterling Dump truck with a Detroit 60 engine, a 2008 International VT365 Motorhome , and a diesel tractor and a diesel lawnmower.
The Beetle will go away with the purchase of the Smart.
It is great to finally be able to own one. My wife will be the primary driver and can't wait. We will have a lot to learn, especially in the parts and maintenance end with diesels being "gray market". I hope to learn lots here and appreciate the prior experience and knowledge that is represented here!

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Welcome to cdi ownership, there are 10,000 of us in Canada (and about 62 or so in the USA). If you could send me a PM, there is something I would like to ask you.

Also, the Canadian forum at Club smart car is full of technical tips for this particular model, so I would recommend joining there!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome! I still am waiting for the CDI to ship to us from the East Coast. The weather and holidays have slowed everything down. Whats a few weeks when we have wanted one for 6 years.....:cool:

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Thanks for the welcome! I still am waiting for the CDI to ship to us from the East Coast. The weather and holidays have slowed everything down. Whats a few weeks when we have wanted one for 6 years.....:cool:
Did you buy it from smartsellerrob on Ebay?

·
Registered
5 Posts
CDI in the USA

I am new here also, from RI. (Hello, Julia.) I am still looking and investigating. How did you get a CDI accepted for emissions in the US?
I didn't think that we could do that! If it is possible, I am a LOT more interested. I formerly owned a TDI, and worked with and sold International Diesel trucks, so I don't need convincing, just permission! Thanks. Bill

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
The EU-3 cdi engine imported to Canada between 2004 and 2007 (05 and 06 models) actually met USA/CDN emission standards for model years 2005 and 2006. The manufacturer won't tell you that (with respect to the USA) but it is true, otherwise the car could not have been sold in Canada.

The E-Code headlights are illegal in the USA because they're not DOT approved, but E-Code lights have always been legal in Canada. Other than that and the lack of MPH on the speedo, it's probably more or less legal there. smartsellerrob on eBay, based in Ohio I think, has registered more than a dozen there, all of which have been sold on to others. So it can be done.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Keep us informed on registration and licensing. Many are curious. We have watched him sell quit a few on Ebay. Several other members would like a CDI also and have wondered about him. You can be the guinea pig if you don't mind.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wow, didn't even know they made diesel lawn mowers.

Detroit Series 60, that's a nice sounding big-truck engine. Couple of our company rigs have those.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Well, if you get your new diesel smartie, you should take it for a good run to Colorado in July! Not that far of a drive, and being in your diesel smartie, it won't take but a drop of fuel to make it. Oh, and why should you go to Colorado in July? To join in on the smart car National Convention and Car Show, that is why! You will be a hit with your diesel, everyone will be wanting to know all about it! You can register, and find out more information, at https://smartcarnatls.com !

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We have had the car almost 10 months now. It has performed very well and all summer I have run it on my own Biodiesel. Now I have to start blending for our colder months.
As for registration, it was a breeze but I do not live in a DEQ area. I do get a lot of lookers- mostly thinking it is electric. We are averaging 53 to 56 MPG. We are 55 miles to Portland Oregon and sometimes when we get the famous Gorge Winds we use our Jeep Liberty CRD. It can be fun with 50 MPH sidewinds.:)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just saw your post. Welcome! I live in Pendleton, and I'm jealous to no end of your diesel. Love to have one. I read in another forum about a guy in Oklahoma that converted one from a wreck over the course of a winter. Thought about it, but will probably pass on that one. I drive 50 miles each way to work over the Blue Mountains, and I'm anxiously waiting to see how ours does in serious snow...

·
Registered
787 Posts
Just saw your post. Welcome! I live in Pendleton, and I'm jealous to no end of your diesel. Love to have one. I read in another forum about a guy in Oklahoma that converted one from a wreck over the course of a winter. Thought about it, but will probably pass on that one. I drive 50 miles each way to work over the Blue Mountains, and I'm anxiously waiting to see how ours does in serious snow...
You could work at Wildhorse. :rolleyes::p

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know of another CDI Smartsellerrob delivered to Portland Oregon about a month ago. The owner e-mailed me about DEQ and i told him if he had any issues to let me know. He
apparently did not have any problem since he never contacted me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts