Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at Smart Cars for about 6 months now. Don't really NEED one, but really want one. I finally took the plunge and I will take delivery of my Silver 2009 Smart fortwo Brabus in about 2 weeks. I read a thread last week re: HID headlights, but can't seem to find it now for some reason??? Once I have the car, I plan on converting to HIDs (4300K or 5000K). On my Grand Prix GXP, it wasn't an issue because it has a bulb for high and a bulb for low. On the Mustang we have, however, it was an issue because the bulb wouldn't allow it to switch to high beams (I believe someone said it was because, when you switch on the highs, the bulb moves, and since the HID was bigger, it wasn't able to move in the headlight--something to that effect) I've noticed the Smarts only have the single projector lens...which leads me to my question. If you install HIDs on the Brabus, are they able to switch between low and high beams like normal??? Or are there any modifications needed??? I noticed Smart Madness has a low set, a high set and then a set for high and low...for about $600.00!!! A little more than I'd like to dish out right away. And for those of you who have converted them, any recommendations as to who to get them from or any other help/tips I should know about??? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
....wait until you get your ride and then ask yourself this question...do I really need them or will it be nice to have?????

Jetfuel...driving in low...blind them in high...

·
17,372 Posts
The headlamp cases have two light pods each. The projectors are only for the low beams. The one right next to it (that's not the turn indicator) is the high beam. I have Uptown Dog Co's kit in my low beam and a cheap Chinese kit in the high beam.

The cheap kit has a beam that bounces around way too much for my liking, but since it's for the rarely used high beam I don't even bother...

Beware of super super cheap kits, sometimes you get what you pay for. :eek:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The headlamp cases have two light pods each. The projectors are only for the low beams. The one right next to it (that's not the turn indicator) is the high beam.

Thanks for pointing that out, Neon and White!!! Can't believe I didn't notice that!!! For some odd reason, I was thinking it was all one behind the projector lens!!! Go figure!!! Well, that answers THAT question!!! And I will definitely check into those bulbs!!! I agree, I don't want to go with anything too cheap and have issues, but not really into spending 600.00 either...

·
Registered
775 Posts
I can recommend the Morimoto H7 kit (in 5000k if you want the whitest light without hinting toward blue) from The Retrofit Source. Very high quality components, great warranty, and even better customer service. If you don't want the relay harness, you can buy the parts separately, too.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
This is the kit I used: Digital Slim HID Xenon Kit Vvme H1 H3 H4 H7 H11 9006 | eBay

Excellent quality, and low price. They have been in for over 2 years and 50K miles.

The smart has separate high and low beam bulbs, so no issues with the high beams.
I wouldn't get any brand other than VVME. I tried another, and ended up with the flickering you describe. The VVME's don't. Rock solid since I put them in.

I also went with the 5k :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts