Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perfect fitment, was all plug and play. No splicing wires. The kit was extremely well built and will post some night shots later.

·
Registered
81 Posts
wow, i installed a set of the small digital h.i.d. kits we sell for the european bikes and i didn't have to remove anything but the hood. it only took about 30 minutes but i wasn't rushing it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
wow, i installed a set of the small digital h.i.d. kits we sell for the european bikes and i didn't have to remove anything but the hood. it only took about 30 minutes but i wasn't rushing it.
your kit sounds pretty good,
can you post some pictures of your digital HID kit with some pricing for them and how one can go about ordering them? I was searching for them and i could find nothing from any of your other posts :(

thanks

·
Registered
499 Posts
HID headlights use xenon gas as opposed to the standard halogen gas used in most headlights. Xenon gas burns hotter and creates a different light arc in it's filament making for those very bright bluish color headlights you see on most higher end cars. You don't need them.

·
Registered
570 Posts
HID headlights use xenon gas as opposed to the standard halogen gas used in most headlights. Xenon gas burns hotter and creates a different light arc in it's filament making for those very bright bluish color headlights you see on most higher end cars. You don't need them.
That is certainly a personal opinion if I ever saw them.

It all depends if you have the money to spend, because this is a worthwile upgrade. True H7 bulbs are the best design out there, but they pale in comparioson to HID. They produce a greater, brighter field of light. Its light output in terms of color is closer to that of sunlight. Which means less eye fatigue at night compared to halogens relativley cool light output. Besides them being safer for the driver, they make the car much more visable.

They probably will be one of the only mods I do to the car.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I believe the question was, "...do I NEED it?", to which the correct answer is "No, you do not NEED it." Can they offer some benefit? Yes. Is that benefit worth it to you? Only the person asking the question can answer that, after they receive the answer to this question: How much does it cost?

·
Super Moderator
29,363 Posts
Just my .02; I'm sure the HIDs are better for the driver of the car they're on, but I'm pretty tired of being blinded by these "high end" cars with HIDs. Either they're not aimed correctly or they are and way too bright to be out with other cars. Should be OK for the Dakar Rally, etc. but just plain annoying in normal traffic, IMHO. :)

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Just my .02; I'm sure the HIDs are better for the driver of the car they're on, but I'm pretty tired of being blinded by these "high end" cars with HIDs. Either they're not aimed correctly or they are and way too bright to be out with other cars. Should be OK for the Dakar Rally, etc. but just plain annoying in normal traffic, IMHO. :)
I agree. I get one of those behind me and I'll slow down and hope they pass. They don't pass? I slow down some more. Those lights hurt my eyes AND I have tinted windows! Really sucks when they are coming towards me. I try to look to the right as much as possible and still be safely watching where I'm going. But what do I know? Everyone seems to love them so much more and seem to think they are safer.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This was the first time we attemted to take the car apart, and I have no idea why but we ended up taking the side skirts off too lol. We just have to gain access to take the headlights out. Next time we'll try a different way. These ballasts for this kit are pretty small we mounted then right next to the headlight. Clean install. I remember back in the day when the first aftermarket HID kits came out, they were a nightmare! You had to splice wires and it never came out really nice. This is as close to OEM as you are going to get.

·
Registered
580 Posts
This will most likely be the first thing I do to the car as soon as it arrives. The H7 bulbs and projector lenses make this a logical and simple upgrade that will really make the car a lot better at night, and much better looking at night. I would not be surprosed to see many others doing it when they see how easy and inexpensive it can be to do.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I don't have a problem with Xenons, personally. They are going to be one of the first additions that I do to my smart.

That being said, my biggest pet peeve is drivers on the road with misaligned headlamps and/or who drive with their high beams on.

·
Admin emeritus
3,974 Posts
I installed a set of 8,000K HIDs two weeks ago and they are working out great. THe best part about installing them is that I installed the ballast inside the fender area so I have very little fear of ever damaging the ballast.

·
Registered
327 Posts
HID

OK, now we have determined that I may or may not need them, may or may not want them, they may or may not make the car look better at night, and they may or may not be easy for one with intermediate mechanical skills.... Which I am not a mechanic or very mechanically in tune... I am a nurse in the operating room... come in and I can run rings around you with surgical knowledge... but I digress.... Now I need to determine whether I can or can't afford the HIDs..... so what was the cost... anyone...anyone????? :confused:
Russ

·
Registered
17 Posts
Can you post a picture of the cutoff on the smart projectors. I already have an hid kit on my current car and will be looking for one for my smart. I just want to see the cutoff of the projectors.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey guys I waiting for the sun to go down so I can take some pictures. The cutoff with the Smart car are pretty nice. They don't splatter light everywhere. I was out last light and the difference is tremendous. For me, I cannot ever go back to a car without HID's. The safety factor, and the difference behind the wheel just makes it feel like that much more of a car. I even installed them on my motorcycle.

·
Registered
793 Posts
HIDs dont have fillaments... they produce an ark.. a continuous spark if you will. they emit a ton of UV thus the filters they use on them. and yeah people can see you coming a very long way away but in the process alot of people get blinded very easily by these so now you have a blinded driver comming towards your newly modified smart and he cant see the road... YEAH get them it makes good sence

1 - 20 of 64 Posts