Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All

I recently installed a DDM Tuning 6500k HID low beam kit. I have an issue with the Passenger side lamp. Bulbs are seated correctly, ballast works, bulb works. This was all verified by swapping all the driver side parts to the passenger side. The issue I have is that no matter how I adjust the lamps the passenger side will not focus properly. The beam pattern is directed way off to the right and gives no downward light on the pavement. When standing in front of the car the driver side shines nice and bright in the forward direction and the lamp lens looks fully illuminated. The passenger side however only the bottom half of the lens looks illuminated and very little light shines in the forward direction. Now I do know that the beam patterns vary from side to side for numerous reasons we all know about. So is this issue caused by the extra length of the bulb assembly causing the internal reflector to be out of focus or is there an adjustment screw I am missing. After messing with it for 3 days and suffering through the pain of slicing my hands up reaching in to unseat and reseat the bulbs I am at the point where the HID kit is gonna get yanked and a set of Osram Nightbreaker Laser bulbs are gonna go in.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All

Here's a quick update. The HID issue has been resolved. I pulled the passenger side headlamp assembly out last night and after a brief examination it turns out the bulb was seated incorrectly. Here's the mistake I made, when installing the HID kit I did the passenger side first and used the bulb position on the driver side as a reference for plug location. That's where the issue lies, the bulb on the passenger side has a different clock position then the bulb on the driver side. The driver side bulb when installed correctly the locating tab is right about 6 o'clock, the passenger side bulb when installed correctly the locating tab is about 3.5 o'clock. Although the bulb fit and the spring clip closed with ease making me believe it was installed correctly was not. So to all who are installing the HIDs. This is my recommendation pull the front bumper cover and remove the headlight assemblies, while you have them removed drill out the rivets in the adjuster screws that control the left/right adjustment of the lamp. There is 2 videos on YOUTUBE by Jim Trotta on Smart headlight adjustment that show 3 yes 3 screws to adjust the headlights. Once the rivets are removed you can fine tune the headlight adjustment and have HID or LED lamps that do not blind oncoming drivers along with high beams that still shine where they should and a left right light saturation that is way better then the OE setting they don't want you touching. So now that this is resolved it's back to my custom driving light bar with Auxbeam lamps to replace the garbage OE fog light assemblies. Watch for the update in my other post about foglight install. I will list items used if you want make your own.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I have reported here about the drilling rivets instructions and replacing with adjustment screw but was met with opposition. Having no personal experience with the issue didn't help my case.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JzChen

I fully support the drilling if the rivets. I have done it and I don't understand why they are closed off to begin with. There is also a small 5 sided screw on the rear bottom that adjusts only the low beam aim. This is where you can adjust the low beam with HID to keep from blinding oncoming drivers and still have high beams that shine in their correct position.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts