Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a stock 451 the low beam lights are filtered through a projector lense to focus the beam. The low beams use an H7 halogen bulb. The high beams use a reflector to focus out the beam. The high beams use the same H7 halogen bulb. We only use HID conversions in the low beams because they need a few seconds of power to bring them up to full intensity, so using them for high beams would drastically shorten their life because highs are used so intermittently and for momentray flashing. After installing my HIDS the projector needs to be aimed every so slightly to keep from blinding on coming drivers. So I have 2 questions.
1. After installing HID's will my high beams be useless for "adding to" my light on the road?
2. Do the HIDS have to be aimed more to the right or just down more?

Thanks DCO......

·
Registered
912 Posts
Aim your low beams down as needed. (Right/left within practical limits won't affect the situation of blinding oncoming drivers.) The 451 has excellent headlights and HID in the low beams with standard bulbs in the high beams works very well.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,563 Posts
I was so impressed with the stock headlights when I first drove my '09 Brabus coupe. If you really want to see what looks like two cheap flashlights on the front of a car, try a C-5 Corvette. It was so bad, I rarely drove mine after dark.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
It's funny how projection headlamps can work SOOO well in some cars... yet so poorly in others. My '13 Dodge Dart had HORRID headlights. I think projection headlamps just don't work for high beams NEARLY as well as reflector housings. Probably why the 451 was so fantastic. projector lows, reflector highs.

·
Registered
163 Posts
It's funny how projection headlamps can work SOOO well in some cars... yet so poorly in others. My '13 Dodge Dart had HORRID headlights. I think projection headlamps just don't work for high beams NEARLY as well as reflector housings. Probably why the 451 was so fantastic. projector lows, reflector highs.
it's all about the quality of the projector you are using. My mother has a ford edge which has low/high beam halogen projectors and i recently installed a HID conversion and the output is awesome!!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Well... not really talking to "Projection headlamps don't work NEARLY as well as reflector housings for high beams unless you install a HID conversion kit". Halogen vs. Halogen, reflector housings just seem to have better light output.

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have to agree with you Elemental Dragon. The wifes Kia Forte has halogens and reflectors and they are fantastic. The low beams cover really well and when you switch on the high beams on our country road it is amazing for these "old" eyes. My Smart was equally well, but yet just not as good,hence I started my HID conversion on him. But I found there to be a problem that the adjuster was broken inside the light assembly on the passenger side, so that projector was bouncing around and shining in the trees and not on the road. I could never find that rattle in the front of the car when I hit large bumps. It turned out to be the projector assembly bouncing around in there and scattered light everywhere. DCO

·
Registered
163 Posts
as i said it's a matter of quality.. most halogen projectors aren't really well made and would fit nicer with HID's rather than halogens .. the filament in the halogens is what is causing the issue .. since the light is more focused to a specific point vs a HID bulb. it's easier to have a great output using a reflector with halogens but those who take time to design projectors properly can have as good, if not better results than a reflector

1 - 8 of 8 Posts