Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
High centered it today. 451 ED 2014 model. Fortunately going pretty slow <5mph, but there was a great rut and a mound of pavement sticking up where it wasn't supposed to be. Battery box seems to be OK. Looks like, if I'm reading this right, I have a battery system coolant leak at M43/3 Coolant Pump 2 and possibly Y133/2 HV battery Coolant Pump switchover valve. Also the plastic cover that covers this stuff up has a big hole in it. I'm trying to figure out how screwed I am. Definitely no driving. Although there is a Mercedes dealer here, nearest actual Smart dealer is 120 miles - I'd have to tow. What's dripping doesn't smell like glycol, and isn't green, but it's dripping out of the pump. I do a lot of repairs, but I'm wondering how much I'm biting off here.

·
Registered
17 Posts
In some cities, you can file a claim that the road works should have fixed an issue on the road, and because they didn’t, you can get the repairs covered by them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In some cities, you can file a claim that the road works should have fixed an issue on the road, and because they didn’t, you can get the repairs covered by them.
Thanks! long story, but I wasn't on a public street.

Anyone know about towing these things with a two-wheel dolly? I brought it home some years back on a four wheel car transport trailer - kinda seems like overkill and this little car would barely fit on it. No driving this thing anywhere if the coolant is leaking.

[EDIT] Here's some text from the service manual. I've heard just about every story about towing, from no to yes. This kinda looks like a no to a two-wheel dolly and 120 miles, especially with a janky cooling system.

Notes on towing a Warning
The vehicle can be towed at a maximum speed of
50 km/h for a distance of up to 50 km. If the vehicle is towed at a speed greater than
50 km/h, there is a risk that the electric drive or
high-voltage battery may overheat.
Prerequisite:
• Ignition "ON"
• Selector lever in position "N"
The vehicle must be loaded on to a suitable means
of transport if one of the following events occurs:
• One or more red warning lamps
(e.g. high-voltage battery, drive diagnosis,
12 V battery) lights up on the instrument
cluster
• Increased or pulsating braking effect
a Warning
If the instrument cluster display is not opera-
tional (e.g. if 12 V battery is empty), the vehicle
may not be towed!
If a fault in the high-voltage system is detected,
the message "Do not tow" is also shown on the
multifunction display.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
U Haul says it's $89 for a tow trailer each way. Yow, this is already getting expensive and we aren't even at the dealer yet.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,768 Posts
High centered it today. 451 ED 2014 model. Fortunately going pretty slow <5mph, but there was a great rut and a mound of pavement sticking up where it wasn't supposed to be.[/IMG]
Thanks! long story, but I wasn't on a public street.
Sorry for your <5 mph off-road misfortune.

It's a longshot but if you are still under warranty (no, crash is not covered under warranty) might want to call M-B Roadside Assistance to see if they can help?

·
Registered
152 Posts
This is a great idea, until I remembered that some owners have noted delays in repairs being finished.....
Why does that matter with respect to the trailer rental?

Rent a trailer, haul the Smart out, dead-head it back, return it.
Wait for the Smart to be done.
Rent a trailer, dead-head it out, haul the Smart back, return it.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts

Oh, I thought you meant to reserve it and hold the trailer until smart is done, but can’t predict how long it takes....

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
There is no reason that you cannot tow a Smart by the rear wheels on a 2-wheel tow dolly - with the steering wheel secured straight ahead of course.

·
Banned
214 Posts
So sorry about that ....

High centered it today. 451 ED 2014 model. Fortunately going pretty slow <5mph, but there was a great rut and a mound of pavement sticking up where it wasn't supposed to be. Battery box seems to be OK. Looks like, if I'm reading this right, I have a battery system coolant leak at M43/3 Coolant Pump 2 and possibly Y133/2 HV battery Coolant Pump switchover valve. Also the plastic cover that covers this stuff up has a big hole in it. I'm trying to figure out how screwed I am. Definitely no driving. Although there is a Mercedes dealer here, nearest actual Smart dealer is 120 miles - I'd have to tow. What's dripping doesn't smell like glycol, and isn't green, but it's dripping out of the pump. I do a lot of repairs, but I'm wondering how much I'm biting off here.

I received my 2018 Smart ED damaged by road debris or in the import lot. The delivery guys called me four times. Once from the new smart lot. Knowing it was damaged or the damage occurred on the trailer towed by a pickup truck was done in route.

They did not say a word. Next I know, a knock and somebody’s Smart was in my driveway. Two nice older guys. They marked the damage on a sheet but I found more.

I used the one pay lease option. I thought as quickly as I could. If they were truthful, the car would not have been taken off the trailer.

Now, if I do not connect with someone up the food chain, my paid off Smart would sit at MB Manhattan, NYC forever, incurring storage charges.

It was black on gray, I ordered light gray over silver. The VIN's did not match up either.

Meanwhile, Geico started a fraud investigation on me. You know how those guys are, a non answer even to a direct question.

At this point what are you doing, are you investigating me for fraud? NYC accent, ehhh, got in late, somebody trew' this file on my desk.

Am I being investigated for fraud and for what? On and on.

All federal. VIN, Color, no bill of sale, MB Manhattan was suppose to immediately fax Geico. No window sticker. That was February 4, 2018. Not resolved to this day. Everything is a Hoover dam project which them. Everything.

I would tell you the hours on the phone, the hundreds of emails I sent, the amount it got got escalated however one shining moment.

One nice girl looked at the computer. Let me check this. Complaints on two cars filled the screen. Saying nothing, she said give me a minute. Sure, thank you.

She stayed on the line. After a time, she said the ball has been dropped by nearly every department at Mercedes Benz, except janitorial.

Looking the the size of these files we have let you down in every posible area there is. I do not have a clue to even finding a place to start and I’ve been here a long time.

I am going to escalate everything. Meanwhile, on behalf of Mercedes-Benz Benz and Daimler, we apologize for everything that has happened to you by our hand.

Meanwhile, I scrapped a cone on a dangerous part of reconstruction of the intersection of 17 west and 81 north. Just bruises.

To protect myself and make it easy for them to get me the car I ordered, i had to protect myself and send it to MB, not a section of the car was left untouched. The MB six million dollar body shop in Secaucus did more damage to the car than it had going down.

Al DiLusio said, I will send a flatbed for it today, pick it up and replace the car, the right one. He is no longer with the company.

I thought that rebar had pierced the batteries so I was not going to let someone work on it like it was a car and get blown up was the biggest reason.

It was a small amount of damage. It is still not resolved and I still haven’t filed a Lemon law, 40 days in the shop for two mechanical issues unresolved. That was April 4th, 2018. I posted this one time before but I remember how much it hurt to see that fender scuffed up.

My condolences. Fortunately all faded away as i hope it will with you as well.

I’m still waiting but had Autovin look at it for an early return to protect myself. Autovin, perfect. MB OPERATIONAL. Me, who cares.

I hope all goes well with you.

·
Registered
729 Posts

That’s what I did for my 2 hour drive to dealership. We did drive it back with multiple charging stops though so only rented trailer once for a 24hr period. Word of caution, careful loading and unloading. The tires hang off the ramps by about an inch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,768 Posts
Lile001 is apparently MIA???

Has not checked back in since his post of 8/31/2018? :shrug:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts