Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wife hit a smallish Michigan pot hole, Pulled over and checked tire, looked OK. Continued trip, went up on freeway. Right front tire blew out at around 70 mph.

Car handled well with no sudden loss of control (have PS). Wife is OK, Tire is not. May need to Zyglo rim.

Had spare on board, total down time 20mins as service truck was only 1mile away.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
We had pretty much the same thing a year or so ago... I'll have to fish out the pictures. It was the left rear at about 70, and it totally trashed the wheel well, the black rocker panel under the door, and parts of the quarter panel, which have now all been replaced.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How fast was the car going when it hit the pothole? Must have done some major damage to the carcass for it to fail like that. :)
She was going around a minor accident and ran off edge of pavement. Guess around 20-25 mph. A2Jack

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Vince. Had to look as OEM tires started running out around 18k and had to replace the fronts. Yes It was a new Continental 155-60-15 from The Tire Rack.

Because of your post I took another look at the flat wheel. I found a ding on the inside of the OEM rim where it could not be seen.

Wow! That was an expensive, little pot hole. :eek: A2Jack

1 - 11 of 11 Posts