Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
319 Posts
Has anyone changed the rear gear ratio? Almost all of my driving is on the freeway and I would love to have the car running at 2,000rpm on the freeway instead of 3,000 or 3,500rpm. That alone should improve the gas mileage and lengthen the life of the engine. Yes, I might have to downshift into 4th once in awhile but it would be worth it.
There are many rear gear ratios available for my Mustang but what about the smart?

I have 70 series tires on order for the back to help BUT that will not drop it to 2000 rpm. I live at 4500 ft elevation and drive 54 miles to work which is a sea level. I can drive the entire way at 1500 to 2000 rpm no problem. Going home I might have to drop into 4th gear to climb the 4,500ft but 1st gear is almost worthless. I shift out of 1st gear within one car length.
What ratio were you thinking would be good? 3.73:1, 3.42:1 or taller?

Come on, the car doesn't have the power to pull a sick wh0re off a piss pot already even with a turbo and you want a taller gear! :rofl:

·
Banned
319 Posts
Hey guys quick question. 5th gear is overdrive so is the final ratio 4.5 with overdrive or is the 4.5 reduced to a smaller number with overdrive engaged?
If I did the calculation correctly (been a long time) the 0.707 5th gear times the the final drive ratio of 4.529 should give you a 3.202 gear in 5th aka overdrive.

smart car Gear ratios:
1st (3.308)
2nd (1.913)
3rd (1.258)
4th (0.943)
5th (0.707)

Reverse:
(3.231)

Final drive:
(4.529)

·
Banned
319 Posts
Thanks opec, I can get a better idea why the guy was wanting a higher ratio.
I know that since I put the turbo on my 1st gear is about useless.
However I don't see myself machining up a whole new set of gears either!
It's just not worth it for a car that's most likely not going to last more than 5 years IMO.

·
Banned
319 Posts
I don't know how you drive or maintain your car but I hope mine will last a lot longer than 5 years, my old 280zx lasted over 22 years and I was told it wouldn't last 5.:pWhen I sold it it had a rusted through floorboard but the guy who bought it repaired it, repainted the car,and told me he got it insured it for over $15,000 ,about what it sold for new.:DI intend for my smart to last at least as long but, Who knows?:rolleyes:
I drive the crap out of all my cars and I don't see my Brabus lasting more than 5 years and it'll be on it's way to the bone yard.

I have more faith in my 25 year old Fiero GT with a 3400 X-engine than I'll ever have in my smart, plus the fact that we get scalped whenever we need/want parts or accesories for these turds is the main reason I say after 5 years most will be off to the bone yard!

·
Banned
319 Posts
I put 70 series tire on (same as an older VW bug). That set off all the electronic warnings. The ABS sensor light came on, the traction control software (yellow triangle) came on along with the engine check light. If that wasn't bad enough the software took over and the car would not go more than 5 miles per hour. I already drive the car like a 120 year old lady. I don't go over 65 miles per hour. Accelerate out sooooooooo slow. I coast up to lights and coast down hills. The real problem is the 4:52 rear gear. The car is doing 3,500rpm on the freeway when other cars next to you with overdrive will run as low as 1,800rpm. This engine will only have a "half life". I runs like a weedwacker on the freeway and will never make it to 150,000 miles. My last Toyota and Mazda made it to 300,000 but this car will not at this rate. If the people at smart are reading these posts PLEASE give us a 6 speed trans and a clutch. Get rid of half the electronics on the car and go back to SIMPLE.
Strange, my Brabus is running at 3300 rpm at 75 mph! I drive from Georgia to Michigan straight up I-75 and still get from 36 to 42 mpg.

Without the electronics the smart would be like a carnival ride (bumper car) IMO

1 - 6 of 6 Posts