Smart Car of America Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I put 70 series tire on (same as an older VW bug). That set off all the electronic warnings. The ABS sensor light came on, the traction control software (yellow triangle) came on along with the engine check light. If that wasn't bad enough the software took over and the car would not go more than 5 miles per hour. I already drive the car like a 120 year old lady. I don't go over 65 miles per hour. Accelerate out sooooooooo slow. I coast up to lights and coast down hills. The real problem is the 4:52 rear gear. The car is doing 3,500rpm on the freeway when other cars next to you with overdrive will run as low as 1,800rpm. This engine will only have a "half life". I runs like a weedwacker on the freeway and will never make it to 150,000 miles. My last Toyota and Mazda made it to 300,000 but this car will not at this rate. If the people at smart are reading these posts PLEASE give us a 6 speed trans and a clutch. Get rid of half the electronics on the car and go back to SIMPLE.

·
Banned
319 Posts
I put 70 series tire on (same as an older VW bug). That set off all the electronic warnings. The ABS sensor light came on, the traction control software (yellow triangle) came on along with the engine check light. If that wasn't bad enough the software took over and the car would not go more than 5 miles per hour. I already drive the car like a 120 year old lady. I don't go over 65 miles per hour. Accelerate out sooooooooo slow. I coast up to lights and coast down hills. The real problem is the 4:52 rear gear. The car is doing 3,500rpm on the freeway when other cars next to you with overdrive will run as low as 1,800rpm. This engine will only have a "half life". I runs like a weedwacker on the freeway and will never make it to 150,000 miles. My last Toyota and Mazda made it to 300,000 but this car will not at this rate. If the people at smart are reading these posts PLEASE give us a 6 speed trans and a clutch. Get rid of half the electronics on the car and go back to SIMPLE.
Strange, my Brabus is running at 3300 rpm at 75 mph! I drive from Georgia to Michigan straight up I-75 and still get from 36 to 42 mpg.

Without the electronics the smart would be like a carnival ride (bumper car) IMO

·
Super Moderator
29,454 Posts
So, how's the gas mileage at 5 mph? Should be pretty good. :)

Speaking from personal experience, the car does not take to random tire swapping very well; lots of threads here on combinations that work (and a few that don't.) Having a car that runs 2K rpm at 70 mph without overdrive, I can say the smart will never come close to that with the current drive-line but I guess one can always live in hope. :)

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
With the Smart's ...

High drag coefficient and adding "Prairie Gears", the transmission would be shifting in and out of gears all the time trying to stay on top of the torque curve and still keep the car moving at a reasonable rate of speed.
Forget trying to pass anyone other than a bicyclist, too. :eek:

All that would be accomplished would be to greatly reduce the life of the engine's lower end due to overstressing it with a lack of needed rotating momentum.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
The can climb 99% of the hills in 5th gear at 2500rpm and run slower speeds in 5th at 1200 to 1500rpm so why not run 60 or 65mph in 5th with better gearing?
Yes, this transmission is always trying to think for you. I WISH they would have just put in a 6 or 7 speed trans with a clutch so the owner could drive like THEY WANT instead of the car trying to think for you. Once I retire I can drive my 1964 VW bug since I will not be driving 110 plus miles a day.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I left the original tires on the front. I just want to see if the rpms would drop on the freeway since that is where I put on 99% of my miles in straight line driving. The car will drive fine at 2,000rpm at a lower speed in 5th gear and even as low as 1200rpm on flat ground. So why not drive the freeways at 2000rpm. It does NOT put strain on the engine. And YES I might have to down shift into 4th gear on major grades but so what.

·
Registered
168 Posts
When messing with tire sizes you need to stay within 15% (mol) of the tire differential ratio. Should you fail to do so all the bells and whistles blow off... :D

To get past the 5 mph top speed , for a test , IMO you can pull #11 fuse (ABS stuff) , the lights will go off but the computer will not take over throttle control...

DO NOT LEAVE IT THIS WAY , the car needs the ability to adjust for our stupidity!!!! :eek::eek:
:cool::cool::cool:

·
Registered
295 Posts
The way I look at it, in the current set up if you want decent acceleration, you will probably want to down shift to 4<SUP>th</SUP> gear. If just maintaining speed, why would you want the RPM’s to be higher, there is no point. This is how auto manufacturers get cars with larger engines to get mileage that is close to the smart. The gearing is one of the major weaknesses of the car as it stands. Also at 75 the car would have to be closer to 4000RPM, I see low 3’s at 60MPH. The car as it stands is great for city driving, but suffers quite a bit on the freeway. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

41 - 49 of 49 Posts