Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I've had my fortwo model 2008 for a couple of days and I noticed that I'm rolling back like I use to back in my manual transmission car days. It happens when I'm in a drive-thru & stop lights. Is this normal?

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
If it is a 2008, you have a 451 model, and it does have a manual transmission. It doesn't have a clutch pedal as the shifting and clutch is operated by computer. Normally the computer will keep the car from sliding back on hills, but it is possible for it to roll back on hills. that is what the brakes are for.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,186 Posts
There is a built-in "hill holder" function, but it only holds momentarily after releasing the brake pedal I find that I really only notice it on substantial inclines.
For example, you pull up to a stop sign at the top of a hill. You hold the brake pedal to hold position (when you are holding the brake, the clutch is released). When you let off the brake pedal, the brakes actually hold momentarily to allow the clutch to engage. If you dont begin forward movement, and you'll begin to roll back momentarily.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts