Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Well I never expected that my Mobius Dash Cam would capture an accident so soon.

Accident 4-13-2014 - YouTube

The brakes on the Smart worked very well, BUT as for the guy in the pickup truck behind me, his didn't work so well. :crying:

I have to go to Smart Madness to find out how bad is the damage.

Bob Diaz

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
They should ticket the guy moving his furniture and mattress... Load not safely secured if not at all... See this kind of crap all the time around the cornfields of Illinois...
People don't seem to have a clue when hauling things on public roadways....

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
They should ticket the guy moving his furniture and mattress... Load not safely secured if not at all... See this kind of crap all the time around the cornfields of Illinois...
People don't seem to have a clue when hauling things on public roadways....
In the greater LA area, ladders and mattresses are so common, they list them on the traffic reports.

·
17,345 Posts
In Northern Illinois, traffic control equipment and bumpers are the debris of choice.

Nothing like dodging someone's front bumper in the dead of night!

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
We hit a muffler that the guy in front of us managed to clear. It hit perfectly on the engine/transmission of our Camry hard enough to break the seal and start leaking transmission fluid like a sieve. Insurance said there was no indication there was any damage caused and it was a normal oil seal failure so they would not cover the $2000.00 repair. Dang!

Bob, I too am glad your brakes worked so well and you are okay. It could have been a lot worse.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Bob, I am glad you are ok. Your safety and health are priority number one.
I have to admit to being somewhat selfish and laughing while watching your video. When you zoomed in on the trucks front plate, I busted out laughing thinking stuff like "THIS is the plate number of the guy who hit my car"....I realized soon after though you were referencing his plate being bent and therefore how his truck much have impacted your car to bend the plate like that...but man, that initial zoom... :D it just made my night.

I am local (for about another week, then moving to DFW), if you need anything let me know.

·
Registered
182 Posts
We hit a muffler that the guy in front of us managed to clear. It hit perfectly on the engine/transmission of our Camry hard enough to break the seal and start leaking transmission fluid like a sieve. Insurance said there was no indication there was any damage caused and it was a normal oil seal failure so they would not cover the $2000.00 repair. Dang!

Bob, I too am glad your brakes worked so well and you are okay. It could have been a lot worse.

Insurance is such a scam...I mean, they take money from you your whole driving life but the minute you need to file a claim, they do everything to keep from servicing you.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm taking the car into Smart Madness on Wednesday to have it checked out.

This is the last clear frame from the video before the camera shut down.

Bob Diaz

·
Registered
68 Posts
I killed a sofa/sleeper in the middle of the highway, once. Fortunately, it was with my Montero and not the Smart, but it was under similar circumstances. The seas parted, and there it was spinning down the road. I zigged. It zagged. Then, it decided it wanted to zig, too, and changed direction. Wasn't much I could do. Drove right over the arm of it. Yeah...caught some air! Fortunately, all it did was crack the turn signal and punch in the bumper cover which popped back out.

As I got back in the car, I looked back and could see two guys just standing over it holding their heads. It was brand new still in the plastic. Unfortunately for them, they didn't strap in down in a flatbed trailer and it slid out.

I was lucky not to get run over from behind. Glad you came out OK with seemingly little damage. They are tough little boogers!

·
Registered
511 Posts
People don't realize that when they but something on the back of a truck. or overhead on an SUV that they have to consider if it will hold in a Category 1
Hurricane (76 mph, I think?) Almost anything will tear loose and become a projectile
at that speed.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Jeez I'm so glad you are ok. Where did the effing mattress come from? Obviously a MALE loaded a truck and though, "hayull yeah, that'll stay on thayer!!"

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
With such an accident one doesn't know when the lord will call you.
We used to have an older gentleman in uniform and driving a police car patrolling our local parkway. His function was to check on poorly tied down items on trucks or cars. He was a busy man.
This was about 15-20 years ago and his attempt to keep us from getting hurt is really missed. It's too bad there isn't such a program now.
As type this, I hear on TV that a ladder is lying on the road on a busy local street. It's dark outside and people must drive to work and the idiots are busy ...well being idiots.

Then there a car inspections...don't even get me started on that subject for it's a foreign term here in Florida.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts