Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What kind are you using? I need something that isn't going to drag or dig in on my driveway. I'm using the Curt hitch which has about 4 1/2 inches of ground clearance.

Of course then I have to put an adaptor on it to make it a 2" receiver, and THEN the additional length of the carrier. So my concern is drag on any incline or decline.

Anyone figured this one out without just carrying everything on a trailer? I was planning on building a trailer anyway, I just didn't want to have to haul the whole trailer if all I need to carry is my tent and a cooler. lol

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
I do not have a platform for my curt hitch, but I would recommend getting the towbolt adapters and adding a turnbuckle on each side to your platform to stabilize it and share some of the load.
Just my two cents.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no idea what you're talking about. LOL.

I think I'm just going trailer. This platform thing just looks to be more headache and money than it's worth when compared to the trailer alone.

·
aka 'Red-Devil'
276 Posts
On my Equinox the combined slack of the 2" receiver and the adapter make the rack sag quite a bit. With a load it drags on dips and leans side to side. It has more clearance than on my smart, so I don't think you'd be happy with it.

What kind are you using? I need something that isn't going to drag or dig in on my driveway. I'm using the Curt hitch which has about 4 1/2 inches of ground clearance.

Of course then I have to put an adaptor on it to make it a 2" receiver, and THEN the additional length of the carrier. So my concern is drag on any incline or decline.

Anyone figured this one out without just carrying everything on a trailer? I was planning on building a trailer anyway, I just didn't want to have to haul the whole trailer if all I need to carry is my tent and a cooler. lol

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
The turnbuckles would help prevent it from leaning side to side. They are attached to tow bolt adapters screwed into the towbolt receivers hiding behind the textured black plastic covers that snap out of the bumper on each side. The towbolt adapters are available from Smart Madness. The turnbuckles are available at most any hardware store.
I know, I feel a visit from the boys coming on...

·
Super Moderator
11,216 Posts
Looks like the sides are high enough that you can see it out the back window. I added corner posts so I could see my trailer, and they help for holding the kayaks in place.

Are the side removable? or fixed?? just curious. Nice looking trailer! I like the natural wood rails!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks! Yeah I built them 2 feet above the floor so I could see them but see past them. Completely removable independently. If you look in the corner you can see a black area where the rails meet at the top. Those are hinges with removable pins. I used those for rigidity, while being able to simply and quickly remove them to remove a panel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts