Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jsenka, gave us this heads up on another forum.

The U-Haul hitch must come off in order for the Right wheel liner to be removed to access the V and AC belts.

Bummer...It's probably rusted in solid. as I never planed to remove it for the life of the car.

So check those belts before you put on that new Hitch and be sure and use SS bolts and nuts. A2Jack

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
You need to double-check that. When SC Knoxville did my belt, it only took 45 minutes, and they said nothing about the hitch at all (and the the Add-a-Spare on there, the hitch is no longer an easy removal).

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is getting interesting now.

gbryers and Jill's dealer said nothing about the hitch being in the way of belt access and I would think they would have mentioned it. Maybe there is another way in there?

My "hands on" car repair days are over for a while here, so If anyone would care to verify this, please jump in. (and while you have that wheel off, maybe shoot us a couple of pix of the Access cover and the fasteners). :) Thanks, A2Jack

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,184 Posts
I guess I better chime in here. I had a hard time getting all that egg off my face. :eek:
When I installed my hitch, I recall removing one of the plug fasteners that hold down a plastic cover in the immediate area of the belts. A hitch bolt uses that hole. I believed that to be the cover that the MB service instructions said needed to be removed. I admit that I haven't crawled underneath to confirm whether the belts are accessible, but the other posts here indicate that they are. Sorry for the misinformation. Although I am glad that the hitch doesn't interfere with the belt change.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BTW. I note Chrysler's fix for rear end protection of the gas tanks on the Jeep will consist of adding a Trailer Hitch. :D A2Jack.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts