Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

understanding all that would have to be manipulated for them to stay in this position while running.....
.....could this be a better driving position for Smart wipers?. Hmmmmmmmm.

·
Super Moderator
29,251 Posts
Not sure why, and certainly something the smart engineers considered and bypassed..... :)

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,734 Posts
That's the first 451 I have seen with the wiper mod. I have seen many 450's with that mod on other forums.

·
Super Moderator
17,623 Posts
All production Teslas have hidden wipers. The Roadster show car has an electromagnetic wiper that is displayed sitting in the vertical position, though according to the patent, even it will be stowed under the bonnet when the wipers are turned off.

I take it smart's decision to stow the wipers at the bottom of the windscreen is purely cosmetic. I'm curious about how this mod impacts crosswinds on the A pillar.

Reactions: OliverB

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't believe it to be a mod if the wipers are running you can turn the car off with them in that up position. They return to normal rest position soon as they get power again. I guess I could pull the wiper fuse if it is by its self and take a ride with them up there.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At quick glance it doesn't look like my passenger side wiper stands vertical along the "a pillar" the driver's side does. I think I could grow to like the look. I have also cut out a clear Plexiglass piece to make a wind screen for the wipers when in their natural position for my current Smart that will be what I will be going with.
But I do like the vertical wiper look.

·
Registered
192 Posts
It may look cool but is not as streamlined as you might think.
If you were to put the car in a wind tunnel, you would find that the air does NOT go straight over the car. It wraps around the vehicle as it moves through the air. Therefore, the air would be hitting the wipers at an angle and producing vorticies (drag).
With the wipers in the DOWN position, they are mostly blocked by top of the hood / vent assembly at the base of the windshield. Add the "Bow Wave" effect of the nose of the vehicle moving through the air, and you would find that drag in the down position is almost negligible.
Also, the wipers are more susepitble to damage in the UP position too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts