Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Not to worry, Stella!

and how does water get in there? and if there isn't a hole, then what? the water just sits where?
No holes needed on a cabrio. The cabrio's are more water tight than the coupes, so you need not be concerned! :D

Now, how absolutely fabulous is that!

This weep hole simply allows water to drain outside the body of the car just like doors that have operating windows have drain holes that let water drain on out of the inside of the doors.
The need for drain holes was just overlooked. This addition just corrects that engineering oversight.

Because you chose wisely, you don't need no holes! :p :D

·
Registered
618 Posts
I just got the urge to drill. Sure it's dark out, and it could have waited, but I got the urge and went for it. I cannot believe the amount of disgusting brown liquid that poured out when I did it. I used a drill bit that was approximately 1/8" and went in between 1/8" and 3/16" (just enough to penetrate the plastic.)

If you hear the slosh and you've not done this yet, I highly recommend it. I can't imagine that the water in there was doing anything any good.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Did you hear the slosh before you drilled??
Yes. It's been there after every rain and I saw it leak out of the top when I opened the hatch. This time, when I lifted the hatch to drill, I heard it again. I was still surprised at the amount of water that came out.

·
Registered
2008 smart passion original owner
53 Posts
Hmmm. I had water issues with my hatch; it was leaking where the windshield wiper connects. They had replaced the back window but the defroster wasn't working properly (scratched at some point?). Then I noticed some months later that it was leaking inside
the window. The dealer talked me into paying half of a new replacement.

Now I wonder if it wasn't just a defect in the car and/or window.

·
Registered
1 Posts
wish I'd seen this earlier have had water dripping, on the left side only, whenever it rains here (B.C. wet coast) and I open the hatch. I'll check out the fix...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Our Rally Red smart that had the rear glass replaced has this mod. I suspect the old dealer who replaced the glass did the mod (smart center denver). Our metallic blue smart does not have this fix. Both cars are '09 and serviced at MB Westminster.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
The drilling of holes in the hatch was a fix from the factory and does the job just fine.no need to replace the 'window'

21 - 35 of 35 Posts