Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a new to me Smart Pure 2013. Dealer wants 400.00 to make me a second key. I guess I’m living the Mercedes high life now. I understand there really is no alternative to the dealer on this?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I second the local locksmith option. It's typically still expensive, just not as. Do not lose the last good key!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sounds about right, the key blanks and remote are not terribly expensive, the bulk of the cost is paying for equipment and operating overhead.
Having gone down this route myself, make sure you have all the keys on-hand as they will need to add them all at the same time and any not reprogrammed in will no longer work. When I had new ones made, the locksmith said he could just add them, but he was surprised when the working keys were replaced rather than simply added, so check them all.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds about right, the key blanks and remote are not terribly expensive, the bulk of the cost is paying for equipment and operating overhead.
Having gone down this route myself, make sure you have all the keys on-hand as they will need to add them all at the same time and any not reprogrammed in will no longer work. When I had new ones made, the locksmith said he could just add them, but he was surprised when the working keys were replaced rather than simply added, so check them all.
Thank you. I wouldn’t have thought of that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To follow up I found a local locksmith (Locksmith Monkey) The guy came out to me and had a second key ready to go in 15 minutes. Cost 175. Way better than the dealer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts