Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which Honda car do you think is better, the accord or the civic and why?

I would say the Honda Civic because it has a smaller engine which makes it easier to repair and it doesn't use a lot of gasoline as the Accord.<o></o>

·
Registered
34 Posts
Define better? Your topic is too vague!

To sit in for 8 hours of highway driving? To hold 5 people in? To commute in stop and go traffic? As a basis for a weekend race car?

Why is a smaller engine easier to repair? Heck, what even fails on Modern cars in the first 100K miles anyway?

Is not using a lot of gasoline "better"? Cheaper maybe...

·
Registered
488 Posts
Why, do you think this thread is better suited in the off-topic section? We talk about all sorts of cars in the car lounge. That's why it's called Life Beyond Smart.

Missed the Honda forum by at least four letters... :rolleyes:

I have a 2009 Accord in the driveway (well, on the side of the driveway because the driveway is full. :D). The Honda isn't mine, it's a frend of mine owns it who lives in London. Why he needs a car here I don't know because it makes more sense for him to rent a car, but whatever he can afford it is I guess reason enough. The only feature it lacks is the navigation, it's fully loaded. It's a 4 door, so I'm not familiar with the coupes.

I've driven the Accord a few times and while I think it's a nice car, it's just boring to drive like every other car in its class. I haven't done much research comparing cars in its class, but he did quite a bit of research and test driving. Initially he wasn't sold on the Honda but then he found a dealer that gave him a deal he felt he couldn't pass up. He was also looking at used 3 series. (Yes I know, the 3 series is not in the Accord class).

That Civic coupe Si looks like a fun car, but you are looking at price and gas mileage. I haven't driven any version of a Civic in a long time, so I don't know but I suspect it's a lot more fun to drive. The Civic hybrid gets 45mpg but that's getting into Accord prices, but if mpg is your goal then nothing beats the 2010 Prius. However, I suspect they are will release for the general public in the next year or two a plug-in hybrid verson and lithium regular hybrids which will make the 2010 depreciate rather fast. They're already testing 500 of the plug-in lithium hybrids, and that technology is going to make nickel a thing of the past.

What do you think about the Fit?

I would say the Honda Civic because it has a smaller engine which makes it easier to repair and it doesn't use a lot of gasoline as the Accord.<o></o>

·
Registered
7,201 Posts

Accord higher resale. Can't lose on it. Too big, now for me. Why would the engine be any it easier to repair????? They never ever break too. They start to need repairs, after 100,000 miles. I've had 15 Honda cars, all models. Fantasic cars. What model Accords/Civics 2/4 doors, Hybrid, 4 cylinder, V-6, SI vetec, auto, 6 speeds.

Go buy a Jazz/Fit. Great little car from Honda. Has won lots of awards, over the last 10 year here in the states, Japan, and Europe. Fun to drive, handles great, good gas milage, has lots of cargo space. Can go wrong with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Either one actually will do. Honda civic parts is just similar (not the same) to that of the honda accord parts .I'd rather have the Accord "sleekier" look.Most especially, the 2008 one.Good gas mileage and protective gears as well.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
THe Acord is designed for 2 up front and 3 in the back - 3 Adults or 3 car seats

The Civic is designed to two adults upfront and you are only going to get 2 car seats in the back.

So if miles per person matters to you then the Accord looks better

·
Registered
166 Posts
I own a 2008 Honda Civic Si Coupe (ONLY comes in a 6-Speed Manual) and it is by far, one of the most fun cars I have ever driven. The Accord, even in a manual tranny, is no where near the fun level. The only time I would pick an Accord over a Civic is if I need the space. Pound for pound, the 06+ Civic is one of the best cars out there when it comes to practicality, MPG, pricing, reliability, and true ownership cost. TD the Accord and it was a little too big. I'm single and no kids. I had an 07 Civic LX Coupe 5-Speed and needed to upgrade ASAP the second I drove the Si:

Pros:
-Good gas mileage (I do 60-miles round trip every day to work and I average about 31-mpg)

-Handling (One of the best handling cars I have ever driven. I can pull 0.91 G on the skid)

-The Price

-0 to 60 in 6.3-seconds (Pretty damn good for only 197-HP)

-2.0L i-VTEC Powerband (Power and engine note sounds spectacular. "Wow! What an engine note! Equal parts angry hornet and formula bike" - MotorTrend)

-Safety

-Honda Reliability

-Helical Limited Slip Differential LSD

-6-Speed Manual Transmission (One of the smoothest shifting manual transmissions I have ever used. Effortless shift throws)

-8,700-RPM Redline

-Exhaust Note

-2-Tier Digital Speedometer / Tachometer Display

-Steering Feel

-Maintenance Minder System

-Styling (Inside and Out)

-Clutch Feel and Travel

-Comfort (Racing seats are firm, supportive, and plush. Is that possible to have all 3?)

-Interior Room (Front)

Cons:
-Drive-by-Wire (DBW) Throttle System (RPMs do not immediately drop when you shift gears sometimes)

-Low Torque Numbers

-Black Interior (Only comes in Black, which is what I wanted, but every piece of lint or dog hair shows)

-No Leather Option (Would have been nice, but the cloth/suede material is excellent in feel. Wears pretty easily as well and starting to see some fade spots)

-No Heated Seat Option

-Interior Plastics scratches easily

-A/C Vent right behind Steering Wheel (Not a real Con, but I’m starting to run out of ideas)

-Interior Room in the Rear (A bit cramped in terms of leg room in my Coupe, but maybe that is because I am 6'1" and my driver seat is way back)

That’s pretty much it…

This Honda Civic Si is honestly one of the best cars I have ever owned. Sure I could have went with something with more power, or more luxury, like the Accord, but for the money I am paying (I leased), and for what I get in terms of bang for the buck and value, that is where it shines. Comes in Coupe or Sedan, but I went with the Coupe because of the styling. Also, my aunt has an 08 Civic LX Sedan, my ex-girlfriend has an 08 Civic LX Coupe, and my mother will be purchasing her 09 Civic LX-S Sedan in less than a month.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts