Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had a problem of the hood blowing off when towing the Smart car behind a motorhome?

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Check the towing section. There is a "bra" thread where some people have bought a cover that covers the entire front of the car to include windshield. There is boat upholstery place that made it up for the poster, price wasn't too bad at something like $200 - $275.

I found the post for you....

full coverage bra towing

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Some of the theories we heard at KC was that towing behind another vehicle can cause the hood to be liteally sucked off if it is not latched down correctly. The side near the widshield need to be flush with the top of the fenders. If they areabove the fenders, the tabs are not properly engaged. The other possibility is the front clips are either damaged or notsecured all the way. Sadly there is no way to prove or disprove this when it happens. On the plus side, they aren't that expensive to replace...

·
Registered
278 Posts
It is very easy to improperly secure it. The tabs really have to be properly seated. You can usually tell, you push on it a little and it will tell you if it's seated or not.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sounds like it wasn't from towing, you mean I can drive my smart at 75 mph for 8 hour trip and the hood came off while towing. I don't think towing is the issue, my thought

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Sounds like it wasn't from towing, you mean I can drive my smart at 75 mph for 8 hour trip and the hood came off while towing. I don't think towing is the issue, my thought
I could be sarcastic and say, "You drive you car 4ft behind a motorhome at 75mph for an 8hr trip?" but I won't. :rolleyes:

I'm thinking some model motorhomes may make the wind behind it react differently enough to create a suction and enough to pull the hood up on an improperly secured one - just as has been said before on this thread.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My hood fell off too

I have towed my Smart Car for 10,000 miles with no problem. Then suddenly on this last trip, the hood flew off while I was towing it. I am sure the hood was on properly since I had never taken it off since the day I bought the car 2+ years ago. Needless to say, I'm a bit miffed about the $500 repair bill for what seems to me to be a design flaw.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I am sure the hood was on properly since I had never taken it off since the day I bought the car 2+ years ago.
That doesn't necessarily mean it was properly installed. I've seen numerous cars on the showroom floor with service flaps that are incorrectly installed.

Unless the owner checks it after taking delivery to ensure it's correct, he/she has no way of knowing for certain.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Going on a trip ?

Do a walk around. Shake that hood and and pull... Slam the hatch, make sure it doesn't rattle...Check that hitch, try t o pull it off the the ball.

Make sure you have safety chains attached. Inspect your rig as if you were going to fly it. Have pins installed before your next trip,

IMO, no flaw here, just carelessness, A2Jack

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
I have towed my Smart Car for 10,000 miles with no problem. Then suddenly on this last trip, the hood flew off while I was towing it. I am sure the hood was on properly since I had never taken it off since the day I bought the car 2+ years ago. Needless to say, I'm a bit miffed about the $500 repair bill for what seems to me to be a design flaw.
I guess it did some other damage when it flew off? I believe a new service flap (aka hood) costs about $180.00 :confused:

Last time I drove back from San Diego, spent the night at a not-so-great motel and noticed the next morning that both flap release tabs had been pulled to their "open" position. They didn't do that by themselves, and they weren't that way when I parked the car the night before, so I can only guess that someone was "curious". Glad I noticed before continuing my 350+ mile trip!

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
~~~ Hoods Flying Off You Say...!!! ~~~
~~~ I don't have no "Stinking Hoods Flying Off"...!!!~~~

Note: When I get the obvious Question... What's under that Hood...??? You already know what I tell them... I tell them "The Secret Sauce" is under there, and if I told you it wouldn't be a Secret anymore...<:)) If they push Me hard... I will tell them it's a "Bottle Baby" and leave them scratching their heads...

·
17,384 Posts
That's probably not good that you've never opened your service flap in 2+ years. There's some important stuff under there that should be checked every once in a while (or just for giggles) like the coolant level.

On topic: If you've towed it for 10,000 miles without a problem before this incident, then this incident isn't a design flaw at all. But since it hasn't been touched by you in 2+ years, anything could've happened (undone by a curious someone, pin broke, never secured in the first place etc.) but unless it damaged something, it shouldn't cost anything near $500 to fix it :confused:

·
Registered
11,471 Posts

Note: When I get the obvious Question... What's under that Hood...??? You already know what I tell them... I tell them "The Secret Sauce" is under there, and if I told you it wouldn't be a Secret anymore...<:)) If they push Me hard... I will tell them it's a "Bottle Baby" and leave them scratching their heads...

007 .... you need those white lower trim panels to finish the look :p

·
Registered
4,297 Posts

Very nice stick on's...:D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts