Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
During the midwest rally a few weeks ago, I mentioned about making sure the hood was properly put in place. I stepped over to the nearest car to demonstrate and found it was not latched properly, same on the next car. Seems it is quite common for the back tabs to be placed wrong.

Due to some questionable neighbors, I usually do a walk around my car just as a pre drive inspection when I take off in the morning. I have found glass by the tires, doors opened, grease all over the side of the car, etc. Been good lately so maybe they moved on. Hood latches are a quick check.

Towing behind a Motorhome can be subjected to some crazy wind flow at times. I have seen cars being towed with a cover over the front of the car to help keep debris from messing up the front end, not a bad idea.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
~Saving The Hood Flap~Easy Fix~Stop That Flap From Dragging On The Road~

1) Take the Hood Strap, and Hot Knife it exactly in half.
2) Make a hole on the left, just like the one on the right side of the inner Flap.
3) Get comparable Bolt, washer, and nut to attach the Strap to the Flap.
4) You can use a Scratch Awl, or Hot Nail to make the two new holes.
5) Attach Straps to the car, and Now Your Flap Will Not Drag On The Road If It Comes Off.

Note: Yes, the strap is just the right size to make it into two. No there is not "any" problems closing the Flap (this is the way it should have come from the factory).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old post, but my hood just blew off yesterday while towing from Clermont, FL to Jacksonville. I now have to replace the hood and the latches. I can't find a yellow hood on eBay, so I am going to have to pay top dollar from the dealer I guess. I am pretty miffed about the whole thing honestly. Glad to know that I am not the only one this has happened too. I didn't think I was. Thinking about getting rid of the car now.

·
Super Moderator
28,829 Posts
:welcome: to SCoA! :) I'm not sure the service flap can blow off if it's properly secured - not saying it wasn't but lots of folks tow smarts without the flaps coming off, and it's pretty easy to misalign the flap when putting it on. That said, you can post a "wanted" ad in the SCoA parts marketplace and see if anyone out there has a yellow service flap available. :)

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I know this is an old post, but my hood just blew off yesterday while towing from Clermont, FL to Jacksonville. I now have to replace the hood and the latches. I can't find a yellow hood on eBay, so I am going to have to pay top dollar from the dealer I guess. I am pretty miffed about the whole thing honestly. Glad to know that I am not the only one this has happened too. I didn't think I was. Thinking about getting rid of the car now.
The only reason the service flap can blow off is that it was not properly secured at the rear corners. If the rear corner of the flap is sticking up slightly above the fender top, then the tabs at the rear of the sides are not under the tabs on the fenders. That will cause the flap to lift with air pressure under it while moving and that will break the latches and release the flap. No other way unless something is broken. Not the cars fault.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Had a fellow smart owner (with a yellow smart too) ask me about his service flap when he first got his car. It wasn't pulled all the way down at the front. seems someone replaced or repaired the latches, broke the tabs on one, and put the other one upside down. We replaced both and made it right. He used duct tape until the new latches arrived.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Things to be sure of when attaching hood

Like many Smart owners, I had the hood blow off in 45 mph gusts while driving on an interstate. Fortunately, I saw it soon after in the rear view camera and rescued it before too much damage was done.

After replacing the hood and attachment levers (which required removing the front clip), I examined closely how the hood is attached and realized that I might not have been doing it correctly. Most of you probably know this, but for those who might not, here it is.

The top of the hood goes in first. There are two large tabs on the hood, one on each side facing the windshield, that slide into two rectangular receptacles on the body. These are fairly obvious and I was doing this correctly.

Simultaneously, and less obvious is that there are also two small narrow long tabs on the right and left end of the hood that have to slide under similar small narrow long tabs on the body. I was not paying attention to these and should have.

Failure to get the small tabs in place makes it much easier to lift the hood off with my fingers, and more likely to blow off.

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,074 Posts
When I bought my orphan the hold down latches were missing and someone had just put indutrial grade velcro in the middle of the hood on the bottom side. It holds well and driving interstate hasn't resulted in me losing it, but I know I'm on borrowed time, so gotta order the brackets. The latch handles in the grille are there but not the part that engages the hood. It took me a while as a new owner to figure out what was missing and why the latch handles in the grill turned so easy and seemed to do nothing. DCO

·
Registered
83 Posts
~Saving The Hood Flap~Easy Fix~Stop That Flap From Dragging On The Road~

1) Take the Hood Strap, and Hot Knife it exactly in half.
2) Make a hole on the left, just like the one on the right side of the inner Flap.
3) Get comparable Bolt, washer, and nut to attach the Strap to the Flap.
4) You can use a Scratch Awl, or Hot Nail to make the two new holes.
5) Attach Straps to the car, and Now Your Flap Will Not Drag On The Road If It Comes Off.

Note: Yes, the strap is just the right size to make it into two. No there is not "any" problems closing the Flap (this is the way it should have come from the factory).

Just did my Smart like this. Works great. But I might need to use a machine screw and nut instead of the wood/sheet metal screw to attach to the hood.

·
Registered
83 Posts
~~~ Hoods Flying Off You Say...!!! ~~~
~~~ I don't have no "Stinking Hoods Flying Off"...!!!~~~

Note: When I get the obvious Question... What's under that Hood...??? You already know what I tell them... I tell them "The Secret Sauce" is under there, and if I told you it wouldn't be a Secret anymore...<:)) If they push Me hard... I will tell them it's a "Bottle Baby" and leave them scratching their heads...

I would love to see what the base of your pins are mounted to. I don't see anything on ours that would be a good base.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has anyone else had a problem of the hood blowing off when towing the Smart car behind a motorhome?
Happened to me once now I use a bungee upside down v shape. Center bungee around wipers and ends in corners of grill . No problem since.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts