Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Smart Fortwo 453 2015
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
I bought a used 2015 453 early march. Either the hood lock doesn't work or it is a blank.
Can some one confirm that to lock it I just insert the key & turn like a normal lock?
Is there a cover that the key needs to push out of the way as you insert it?
I was tempted to push a screwdriver in to get any flap moving, but decided against that.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
If you're confused about what I think you're confused about, there's the key sized hole in the one small piece in the grille? Believe you use the key to kind of pry that piece out, and then the key hole to actually lock the hood is behind that.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you are trying to pry out that cover for the first time, use something sturdier instead of your key. There is a risk of breaking your key fob (the metal key and fob body hinge is not that strong). Clean up the area with silicone lube and then you can use the key to pry them off next time.

·
Registered
Smart Fortwo 453 2015
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies guys. @khalam I love pics too !! Spot on fourth pic is where I'm going wrong. Finnish my coffee then I'll go out with a small screw driver & give it a go.
At least it is currently not locked !!!!

·
Registered
Smart Fortwo 453 2015
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All sorted. Thanks for your help. Another job crossed off the list.

Don't you love the interweb ! Ask a question & within an hour you've got answers from two people from across the pond !!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi folks,
I bought a used 2015 453 early march. Either the hood lock doesn't work or it is a blank.
Can some one confirm that to lock it I just insert the key & turn like a normal lock?
Is there a cover that the key needs to push out of the way as you insert it?
I was tempted to push a screwdriver in to get any flap moving, but decided against that.

Thanks
so I bought a used smart car but my key won't turn the lock or turn

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
so I bought a used smart car but my key won't turn the lock or turn
I’ve owned my 2016 for almost 5 years but have never used or tried the lock. I believe I’ve heard that the mechanism can be stiff but wait until others reply so you don’t force it and do damage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts