Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone considered hood pins (service flap pins) for the Smart Car? If yes, any photos or DYI instructions?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
i don't understand why anyone would want hood pins... even on muscle/tuner cars. Especially considering the fact that i'm pretty sure half the ones i ever see are just there for looks and don't actually do anything.

And.... a hood scoop? Where? And who in their right mind put it on?

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
I could understand hood pins if you towed behind a motorhome since it seems like a few have had a problem with the hoods popping loose. Of course I'd do a bead of duct tape at the front and on the sides to keep air from going under there.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
~Hoods Flying Off You Say...!!! I don't have no "Stinking Hoods Flying Off"...!!!~
These Hood Pins do serve a function besides being a "Feature" point on my Smart... Sure you could put more internal safety straps to keep the hood from dragging on the road by Smarts "single" strap that lets it fall to road when it blows off... YES people like them...
~Note: When I get the obvious Question... What's under that Hood...??? You already know what I tell them... I tell them "The Secret Sauce" is under there, and if I told you it wouldn't be a Secret anymore...<:)) If they push Me hard... I will tell them it's a "Bottle Baby" and leave them scratching their heads...
~Sure I can give you pointers on this MOD~
http://i40.tinypic.com/vys26x.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/34r60k5.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/308wdcj.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/wwlmwx.jpg

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Photo

I like your photos, they are great. Do you have a photo or will show a photo of the mounted pins ie where to place the pins? Thanks

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
papa6611,...

No I don't have Detail pics... But... I can put some Detail pics together with info on this Mod... You have to be Brave to drill holes in your Hood... Are you ready to do that...<:))
Mine are a 3/8's Aluminum Pin size... 3/8's look right proportionally to the Smarts size...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Appreciation

I would greatly appreciate your input. The thought of drilling the drilling the service flap makes me nervous, however, nothing ventured nothing gained. Did you consider other place on the service flap ie. in the front area? I do like your placement.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Brabus007: yeah.... but why? What purpose are they serving? If i remember correctly... there's absolutely nothing under where you have the pins.... so they pretty much ARE just there for aesthetics alone.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
~Hood Pin Install~

First A Note: This Mod is to retain the Hood should it come loose, and detached causing it to Fly away, or fall to the road, causing it to be Scared & Damaged... This Mod will retain the Hood to the Car, so you can stop, and Re-secure it... The Real Securement Method will Surprise YOU... Give the instructions a full read through...
~You can get Hood Pin Kits at any Auto Parts Store OR Ebay~
~These are like mine~
The abraision Disks do not have screw holes (no need, mine are secured to the Hood with 3M molding tape)~and I bought Two extra Hair-Style-Pins for the top of the Pins... I used the two that came with this set to put under the hood to lock the Pins in the Hood...
Moroso Lightweight Aluminum Hood Pin Set 2 3/8 in. Dia. Pins
http://www.eautoworks.com/product-Moroso-Performance-241131.htm
Hood Hairpin Clips
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Replacement-Hood-Hairpin-Clips,4079.html

~I'm sure you will do this Mod making your own variations to this idea~
1) First you need a set of Hood Pins... I used a set of 3/8" Aluminum Pins, and Hair-Pin Up-right Style Clips (its all about the L00K...right)
2) Selecting a Hood location for the Pins... I put the Pin hole 4" from side, and 2" down from the top edge (make it between the hood top edge & bottom hood head light edge as in Pictures...
3) Make the Hole perpendicular to the Hood, and make it under the size (tight) of your chosen Pin diameter, so its a nice press fit (why you say...? Because you don't want the Pin falling out, when you pull the Hair-Pin Clip... This will all become clear as we progress with the install...
4) Now for the fitting of the Pin, and Abrasion Disk... Lets talk about the Abrasion Disk first... The Hood is not perfectly flat in the Hole location... Its concaved a little, and I pre-arced my Abrasion Disk to match the Hood... Now you need to put the pin in the Hole and set it so that the Hair-Pin hole in the Pin is just above the Abrasion Disk, and the Hair-Pin is placed in the Hood Pin... Now the Hood Pins are 3" to 4" in length, and the ones you choose may have threads close to the Top of the Pin, or many not... It makes no matter because your Cutting most of the Pins bottom length off anyway...!!!
5) Now the final step with the Pins... Now that you have the Pins in the Hood, set at the proper fit Height with Abrasion Disk & Hair-Pin in place... We now go to the underside of the Hood to finish this Hood Pin Job... L00K to see if you have any threads that go up to the under black plastic super structure... If you do, you run one of the nuts on up to the Plastic, and mark the Pin, and remove to cut off the Excess Pin under the Nut... You can use Loctite OR double nut lock to secure the Nut... No need to tighten the Nut... Its just there to retain the Pin from pulling through the Hood... IF there are no threads available, you just mark the Pin next to the plastic, and remove the Pin to Drill a hole the size of "Standard Clip Pins" that your going to buy from the Hardware Store, cut the Pin off 1/4" below the hole you drilled...!!! With the Hair-Pin in place, and secured top & bottom, the PIN is not going anywhere... "Remember the Tight Pin Hole"...??? That's right... the Pin doesn't fall out when you pull the Hair-Pin...<:))
6) Now that we have the L00K, how does that Secure the Hood...??? Well the REAL Securement is the Lanyard's that attach to the Hair-Pin's & Body of the Car... See picture where I attached mine to the Car... The Lanyards I used were 25# test stainless steel fishing leaders from Wal-Mart... The Smart has a Little Hood that does not need anymore retainment than this to keep your Hood off the road while you bring your car to a stop...
7) To remove your Hood... Just pull the Hair-Pins and remove Hood as normal...<:))
8) A final Note: You cannot do a True Hood Pin install with a Solid Bracket, because the Hood needs to Slide into place negating being able to drop the Hood down on to or off of a solid mounted set of Pins...YUP

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
..... well that's just plain odd looking now that i see they're set up like that. Not so much of a "Hood pin" as it is a "3-dimensional hood decal with the added bonus of holding the hood in place on the front of the car while scratching the sh*t out of everything on the front of the car".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Photo

I like your photos, they are great. Do you have a photo or will show a photo of the mounted pins ie where to place the pins? Thanks
Did any one send you any photo of how they add the hood pins.i need it done to my smart car.i have been looking under the hood but it's all plastic not sure if it well hold?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts