Smart Car of America Forum banner

(hood) scoop

9K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  phillysmart 
#1 ·
anyone seen a hood scoop...wonder what it would look like thinking about making my car all one color and putting some racing stripes on with a hood scoop

#11 ·
yeh maybe it wouldn't make sense but it would look sporty/mean and besides that 99 percent of the people that look at it don't know the motor is in the rear

OMG i would kill for one that looked like the car smark posted.......all that work probably cost more than the car did!!!

#12 ·
The point of showing the ED with an air scoop (which makes exactly no sense...and is mine) is to say that it needs to make you feel good to look at it, sit in it, and drive it. It's OK that someone else doesn't appreciate it because it's your car. I have found fellow smart owners seem to appreciate the mods I make on mine even if it is something they wouldn't want on their smart. (Maybe they are just being kind.)
I have seen smart cars that have stuff on them that I would never want on mine but I am happy to see their "smart artwork" and am also happy they are enjoying their smart car. I find that smart car events are filled with nicer people than in most other car clubs. Maybe it is because driving a smart car gives you a little thicker skin and a sense of humor.

#19 ·

Attachments

#18 ·
There's no way the ED battery isn't liquid-cooled.

Lithium battery chemistry generate an insane amount of heat. And with more heat comes a greater fire hazard. Imagine if you lived in a place like Arizona? An air-cooled only EV would be a ticking bomb. Actually, early Nissan Leaf owners found that out the hard way with fires and rapid battery degradation with their air-cooled packs.

Air-cooling is basically the cheap way out nowadays. Certainly, the ED is built to exceed industry standards, which means liquid cooling. :) Even smartphones are beginning to get their own mini liquid cooling systems.

#21 ·
Miscommunication is a terrible thing..... :D The post above yours was "The smart electrics have been and will continue to be, liquid cooled." - not specifying battery or motor. Yours was "No, they're not..." - again, not specifying battery or motor. My assumption (yep, I know...) was we were talking about the battery...sorry for any confusion. :)

#25 ·
Actually, in my post #14 I said, the engine was air-cooled. Okay I admit, it should have been
motor but in my eagerness to post I said engine which we all know refers to as in internal combustion.

So back to my original question, as we all know now that the electric motor is air-cooled would a larger
ram air scoop make any discernible difference? I personally would think it would...

#28 ·
I think a hood scoop that’s just a smaller version of the ones on a Mini would look cool. I think the mini’s good scoop is 10-12 inches wide and sorta flush to the hood. I would say something small like 5” flush hood scoop (almost like a 1” slit) left from the middle would be subtle and cool. I would only do it if I can turn it functional for something like feeding into the AC vent or to help cool the battery.
Photograph Grille Hood Light Automotive design

Rectangle Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Automotive mirror Bumper

Grille Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Home appliance

#30 · (Edited)
Our old smart car service manager Clint Wong, installed a fake hood scoop on he’s first smart car. I thought it was kind of silly, since there isn’t a engine under the hood. Each to their own. He let he’s son have his first smart car. Clint has a lot of change in that car. Other wise the car
was very tailored modded.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

#32 · (Edited)
I take my car through the car wash relatively frequently and had the air blowers blast the hood off about a dozen times. Twice, the hood was damaged and and to be replaced. One was paid for by the car wash, the other out of my pocket.

I installed an additional strap and finally button-style hood latches to prevent the hood from coming off again. So far it has worked well

I wonder if a perforated hood scoop would allow for a enough air to pass through to prevent the hood from coming off…. [emoji848]
In 14 years, I’ve never had my hood fly of the car. Its been install correctly since day on. Even in Strong wind burst on the highway. Extreme heavy rain too. Of course, I never take any of my cars though a automatic car wash. Even if it says brushless. perforations would make it even worse. Air would channel under the hood. Pop it up. If the the top of the hood tabs are slide unde the front fender. The front locks art firmly locked. That hood is going anywhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.