Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm still trying to get my hands on a pair of 2008 European-spec tail lights for my car. I contacted a dealer today who can order the parts, but there are several different versions showing up in the parts computer. I was hoping that someone in Europe (anywhere that drives on the left :p ) might be able to contact their local smart centre and ask what the correct part numbers for replacement 2008 451 tail lights would be. I know it's a big request, but I would truly appreciate any assistance. Thanks very much in advance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
give some infos about your 451 because i don´t know what specs really identify the right part numbers!

it´s a cabrio, right?
when was it built?

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
This is interesting, what is the difference between the Euro and US taillight? Hopefully you guys find the correct part number.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
give some infos about your 451 because i don´t know what specs really identify the right part numbers!

it´s a cabrio, right?
when was it built?

It's a 2008 Cabrio Passion, built September '08.

Jefferios, the European tail lights have separate amber turn signals and a rear fog lamp, where ours combine the turn signals with the brake lights, and have dual reverse lamps.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Tsanis. I've located the part numbers. Unfortunately, the lights are quite expensive from US vendors.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I doubt we are going back "home" this year, or otherwise I'd offer to pick them up during our normal November visit to Holland. But if you want, I can ask my brother in law to look on your behalf. The inlaws will be here Dec 1.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's really generous of you, Dora. I'd be very interested in seeing how much they actually cost over in Europe.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just an FYI, only the UK still drives on the left side. Her majesty refuses to assimilate.
That was poorly phrased on my part. I meant the driver sits on the left side of the car. Like we do here in the US. :)

And I hope your brother-in-law feels better soon. I've broken my hands before, and it is no fun at all. :(

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Padawan, just call Smartmadness, they stock the Euro lights your looking for. Remember, there is some wiring changes, since in Europe they use amber turn signals, plus they have that rear fog light.

·
Super Moderator
28,302 Posts
Padawan, just call Smartmadness, they stock the Euro lights your looking for. Remember, there is some wiring changes, since in Europe they use amber turn signals, plus they have that rear fog light.
*Some minor alterations are required to make the tail lights work with the US version of the smart car car. The lights will not come with any directions. You will need to obtain those from some of the smart car forums.

Please note! These lights are being sold "for off road and show use only" and may not be legal in some states or counties. Please check your local laws before purchasing.
smart car Euro Tail Lights
:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Japan, Australia and New Zealand all drive right-hookers, as do Malta, Cyprus and India and Southern Africa. It's mostly an Americas thing, this doing on the left! In a Smart, it makes little difference, it's so close sitting together!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts