Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2014 Smart Passion that I have had for 3 1/2 years and put 25,000 miles on it without a problem. Until a week ago.

I had driven about 70 miles and stopped to run an errand. When I came back out the car started, sputtered a couple of times and died. It would not start after that. Turned over fine but would not catch.

Had the car towed home and tried a couple of times to start it over the next couple of days; no dice.

The gas was premium and was fresh; I had just filled the tank that morning at a station I have used before with no issues. The car had had its annual service just a couple weeks before.

Made arrangements with the dealer and with a towing company to tow the car in to the dealer. On the morning of the appointment I went out to get ready for the tow truck and, just for grins, decided to try to start the car. It started. Turned it off and started it several times just to be sure it was going to work. It did. Drove it a few miles and back; no problem. Decided at that point to drive the car to the dealer.

The dealer is about 35 miles from me. When I got there I learned that they were too busy to get to me that day so, without turning off the car, I turned around and came home. Pulled up in the driveway and turned the car off. Decided to see if it would start again; it wouldn't.

That was Tuesday. Tried this morning, Wednesday, to start it; no dice.

I've been trying to figure out what the problem might be. I've thought about vapor lock in the fuel line. I've wondered about ignition problems; when the engine is turning over it doesn't sound like it is firing at all; doesn't sound like it is even trying to catch. I wondered about water in the gas but that wouldn't fit with it starting and running fine on Tuesday.

The temperatures have been hot but no worse than the past 3 summers when I had no problems whatsoever because of heat.

Has anyone seen this problem before and, if so, do you know what the solution was to fix it?

Any information or thoughts anyone has on this will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Leland

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
My first thing would be to get the car scanned with an ODBII scanner. If it would restart and you could stop by a local auto parts retailer and let them pull the codes. Usually a no start condition will store a code or two in the computer that will point you in a direction of a repair. With no more info than we presently have it would be pure speculation (no pun intended) to try to figure out the problem. It could be a fuel pump problem and that is a likely guess, yet it could be an intermittent problem with the ECU or something like a failing crankshaft sensor. Without more investigation you will just be throwing expensive parts on it trying to get your Fortwo repaired. DCO

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much for the quick response. I just went out and tried to start it again this morning; no dice...

If it is likely to have stored a code about the problem I think I will just make an appointment (again) to have it towed to (or drive it if it will start) the local Smart dealer.

My fear has been that I would take it in and they would be unable to fix it...

Any idea where the connector for the scanner is on the Smart?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found it. Just to the left of the steering column and just behind the bottom edge of the dash. And the cover on mine was still hanging open probably from the service that was done about a month ago. I've ordered an OBDII scanner in hopes that I will get some useful information. I suspect the scanner will be useful with my truck as well...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, I bought an OBDII scanner and, unfortunately, there are no stored or pending codes and even though it still won't start I'm not seeing any errors on the scanner. Sigh... I'm going to have to take it to the dealer and hope for the best...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts