Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
I know this post is a few months old but I just purchased a used 2008 Passion with 23k miles on it (for $4K mind you :)). I thought that it had all the options that you could get - pods, driving lights, light/wiper sensor, leather heated seats, radio 10 (with silver trim). But I noticed that there isn't a sub under the driver's seat (or other seat either). I thought that if you bought the Radio 10 that it came with the sub? It does have the door speakers and dash tweeters though. Did you have to specify the sub if you wanted it when you ordered?
dont even bother with the oem sub .. it's junk!

·
Registered
2 Posts
in august, i became a smart car owner when i bought a used 2009 smart fortwo passion cabriolet. Just a few days later, however, i heard an extremely loud humming sound that caused a severe vibration in the car. It lasted for only a few seconds, so, since the car had no warranty, i hoped for the best and didn't look into it. Unfortunately, it kept happening from time to time, and i had no clue what was causing it. When it happened three times during a single trip into town, i really started getting concerned. And then, on the very next day, the hum began the second i turned the key to the on position and did not go away. I had an appointment, so i had no choice but to drive the car -- it being my only mode of transportation -- but the hum was so loud and the vibration so bad that, just five minutes in the car left me nauseous and with a splitting headache.

I was able to determine that the hum was coming from inside the car, and i thought that perhaps it was being caused by the door speakers, but then i found that it was coming from underneath the driver's seat. Some investigation online revealed that's where the factory-installed active subwoofer was, so i got my answer as to the culprit of the noise that had made my car undrivable.

So, of course, then came the question of how i was going to resolve the problem. Online discussions were saying that the seat had to be removed to get the subwoofer out, but that wasn't an option for me, so i went looking under the seat and found where the wires plugged into the subwoofer. With the aid of a screwdriver, i got the plug out, and blessed silence ensued.

I decided to share my experience here just in case someone else ever has the same problem. The location of the plug is under the front right corner of the driver's seat. It was clearly visible and accessible in my car, although one discussion here said that the plug is located underneath the carpeting and can't be reached unless you remove the seat and lift the carpet. I've also included a photo.

I have no plans to replace the underseat subwoofer, but perhaps, someday, i'll see about putting one under the dash, which i understand is an option.

The one question that remains is if the dealer where i bought the car was aware of the problem when they sold it to me or if the person they got the car from chose to keep hidden the fact that their car was occasionally making a dreadful humming sound. I'm considering sending an email to my salesperson to let him know about the issue.
i have the exact same problem and was getting very worried and afraid to drive the car. I will try this technique and see if it solves the problem. I love my 2009 passion cabriolet and it has been very good car, no problems until this one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How did you get the plug out. Mine is the same but it is hard to get to and i cannot see a screw. Does it just pull out? Help, mine is driving me nuts. Kathy mirick

·
Registered
883 Posts
How did you get the plug out. Mine is the same but it is hard to get to and i cannot see a screw. Does it just pull out? Help, mine is driving me nuts. Kathy mirick
Check out MY POST #18 on the below link. (Ignore the Flood part in the title.)
I have a picture of the Plug and Socket for the subwoofer and its relationship to the drivers seat frame. First and foremost there is NO SCREW to undo in order to unplug the subwoofer. It Just unplugs. I'm in my 60's and I was able to unplug it with my big fat fingers. A flat blade screwdriver may help with the locking tabs. It just takes patience. Everything still works just as it did before, I can't tell any difference in the sound of the radio, since unplugging the subwoofer. Gone is the burping and flatulence sounds.
I knelt on the ground, laid across the seat (because of a weak lower back) and just worked at it. Good lighting helps. I use a headlamp.

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f4/what-computers-under-drivers-seat-flood-car-update-54538/

Good Luck and take your time.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just had to unplug mine. Hard to find intermittent radio noise issue after starting while shifting or braking. Turned out to be sub. All quiet now.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Yep,

As it turns out to be in 90% of the cases.

You weren’t even giving me a 50/50 bet? (Probability was my worst math course. I had to repeat it a few times just to get a B- if I recall. Every other math course, including stuff beyond my understanding I could get an A). Ha, lucky I declined....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks Maureen! All fixed thanks to you!

In August, I became a Smart car owner when I bought a used 2009 Smart Fortwo Passion Cabriolet. Just a few days later, however, I heard an extremely loud humming sound that caused a severe vibration in the car. It lasted for only a few seconds, so, since the car had no warranty, I hoped for the best and didn't look into it. Unfortunately, it kept happening from time to time, and I had no clue what was causing it. When it happened three times during a single trip into town, I really started getting concerned. And then, on the very next day, the hum began the second I turned the key to the on position and did not go away. I had an appointment, so I had no choice but to drive the car -- it being my only mode of transportation -- but the hum was so loud and the vibration so bad that, just five minutes in the car left me nauseous and with a splitting headache.

I was able to determine that the hum was coming from inside the car, and I thought that perhaps it was being caused by the door speakers, but then I found that it was coming from underneath the driver's seat. Some investigation online revealed that's where the factory-installed Active Subwoofer was, so I got my answer as to the culprit of the noise that had made my car undrivable.

So, of course, then came the question of how I was going to resolve the problem. Online discussions were saying that the seat had to be removed to get the subwoofer out, but that wasn't an option for me, so I went looking under the seat and found where the wires plugged into the subwoofer. With the aid of a screwdriver, I got the plug out, and blessed silence ensued.

I decided to share my experience here just in case someone else ever has the same problem. The location of the plug is under the front right corner of the driver's seat. It was clearly visible and accessible in my car, although one discussion here said that the plug is located underneath the carpeting and can't be reached unless you remove the seat and lift the carpet. I've also included a photo.

I have no plans to replace the underseat subwoofer, but perhaps, someday, I'll see about putting one under the dash, which I understand is an option.

The one question that remains is if the dealer where I bought the car was aware of the problem when they sold it to me or if the person they got the car from chose to keep hidden the fact that their car was occasionally making a dreadful humming sound. I'm considering sending an email to my salesperson to let him know about the issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for your post. I am responding a few years later, because the amplifier in my Smart Car subwoofer, was oscillating horribly. I knew it was only the subwoofer amp, because it sporadically happened even when the radio was turned off, but the car was on.
I am including a picture of my connector, after removing it from the socket (also shown).
The photo you included, helped me immensely, to be sure I was disconnecting the correct plug.
I am the proud owner of one of the very first Brabus Smart Cars. I had already ordered my Smart, when they contacted me to say they would be coming out with a Brabus version, and that I could upgrade to it. Even though it took an extra 12 months (14 months) total, I never regretted getting the Brabus.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts