Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What exactly does the cabin air filter do? Will it remove odors from inside the car? Can you put a fabric softner drier sheet on one to make your car smell fresher? Our little car just has a little "musty" smell. Also previous owner was a heavy smoker!! Any advise? Got our new windshield installed at our home for under $200 and ordered my new stock size tires that will be delivered to my home for $210 this Friday. Local shop says $15 each to mount and balance. Also I changed my own oil and filter yesterday. Went with Mobil 1 0-W40 European formula and Mobil 1 oil filter. We are excited to get our little car completely road ready to sport around town!! Walmart had a 5 quart oil jug for $22 and a filter for $10

·
Registered
563 Posts
Change the filter . It’s easy and you will get your socks knocked off once you see the condition of the filter . Gross . Most folks ignore this filter , don’t !

·
Registered
206 Posts
Cabin filter removes dust from the air entering the cabin. Not sure about a dryer sheet but I know that in humid climates you gotta change it more often otherwise it gets moldy. To get rid of the cigarette smell I would take it the carpet and wash it. For the seats you can use a wet vac. Might need to do it twice but it works well.
I run sick tires, although I run 45psi but I like them. My local Walmart mounts and balances tires for 9$ a piece last time I did it. That was last year though.
As for the oil. Good choice.

https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mobil-promotions/mobil-1-rebate-2019

That's a rebate for Mobil 1. Should save you 17$ or so

What exactly does the cabin air filter do? Will it remove odors from inside the car? Can you put a fabric softner drier sheet on one to make your car smell fresher? Our little car just has a little "musty" smell. Also previous owner was a heavy smoker!! Any advise? Got our new windshield installed at our home for under $200 and ordered my new stock size tires that will be delivered to my home for $210 this Friday. Local shop says $15 each to mount and balance. Also I changed my own oil and filter yesterday. Went with Mobil 1 0-W40 European formula and Mobil 1 oil filter. We are excited to get our little car completely road ready to sport around town!! Walmart had a 5 quart oil jug for $22 and a filter for $10

·
17,360 Posts
The filter generally just makes the air cleaner in the car. I sometimes attach a home furnace air freshener on mine. No mold and a very long lasting fragrance (several months) that comes from an invisible place! That last bit never ceases to amaze passengers.

To get the cigarette smell out you'll basically want to clean every surface in the car. It's hard to get cig smoke completely out of a car.

·
Super Moderator
11,232 Posts
Be aware that your car doesn't hold 5 quarts of oil!! That is a god price for Mobil1. If the cabin filter gets clogged, there will be less air flowing out the heater and the A/C could freeze up on you. Easy to change out. I usually wait until after the farmers get their planting done so there is less dust and dirt in the air (Farming community).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jimvw57 thanks for the warning and I did read where it takes 3 1/2 quarts with filter and that is what I did. I also will wait a little bit longer to install air filters because we are in the piney woods of east Texas and the pine tree pollon is HORRIBLE this time of year. Might be the wrong thing to do. Maybe I NEED the filter in now DURING this high pollon time?

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
I would replace the cabin filter now and enjoy pollen free air inside my car, if I were you. My allergies are bad this time of year, and cars with cabin air filters help me. Of course, I use the a/c all the time, too. Worse mpg’s are better than a sinus headache. Just my two cents.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts