Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying/leasing a Smart. My dealer is either 120 or 200 miles away depending on where I go. Initial conversations tell me that the dealer isn't too interested in helping me get the car home. I also have the issue of getting the car to someone to service it and getting it back to the dealership to turn it in at the end of the lease. Have any of you negotiated any help from a distant dealership to solve this problem? Should I still decide to get the car, do you have any suggestions on how you got your car home? Do any of the rental places have a truck or a trailer that I could drive the car onto and safely get it home? Is there a site somewhere that shows authorized service centers or when new Smart centers are due to open? Wonder if I could get the dealership to ship the car to a dealer close to me and if I could possibly turn the car in at the end of the lease to a dealer close to me?

Thanks.

Len

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Pay to have it towed to your house. It's done all the time.

Rent a car, drive to the dealer. Drive your smart home.

Have a friend drive you to the dealer.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Find a nice place to spend the night halfway there and bring an extension cord?
If you have a truck or an SUV in the household, you could rent a car carrier from U-Haul

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Have any of you negotiated any help from a distant dealership to solve this problem? Should I still decide to get the car, do you have any suggestions on how you got your car home?
Len, you have opened quite a can of worms as it relates to EV range angst.

The margins on a smart are very thin AND in the case of the ED, there is virtually no opportunity for high dollar annual service. Thus they must get as much from you as possible at the time of the sale without incurring additional costs.

That being said, if a smart Center is not interested in delivering your new smart beyond THE RANGE LIMITS, you may feel very lonely should you have any unforeseen service needs.

Our local smart Center does not appear anxious to sell the smart ED?

My workaround is to have a "distant" smart Center meet me halfway on the flatbed delivery cost or, take delivery on a nice day and when you run out of "go juice" use your AAA card with 100 mile coverage to flat bed you the rest of the way home.

·
Super Moderator
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah it did cross my mind to drive it to a spot within my AAA towing distance. I suspect that AAA would have no choice other than to tow me home, since they would be unfamiliar with how to get the electric car going. The two gallons of gas they are carrying wouldn't help and I hope they wouldn't try to put it in the "fuel" door. They couldn't jump the car, so their only choice is to tow it I would think

Len

·
Registered
527 Posts
The margins on a smart are very thin AND in the case of the ED, there is virtually no opportunity for high dollar annual service. Thus they must get as much from you as possible at the time of the sale without incurring additional costs.

I love my ED, as most here do, it's the best little city commuter ever invented in my opinion.

But I agree with MB DNA (just this once:wink:).

I have not been back to my original dealer (50KM away from me) since I bought the car in November, and judging from feedback on the forums I frequent, very few others have had any maintenance performed on their Electric Drive's either.

There are a few on this forum who live father from their dealer than the range on the ED, but not many.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
The Brand Manager at Penske smart, West Covina and the FOM personally delivered a smart ED to a customer in the Phoenix area to replace a Gen. II ED that was leased. I am not sure how they transported it, probably by car carrier, but they delivered it, but not before the smart Center Chandler, had a certified ED tech on staff. You may want to talk to smartUSA & see if they can work with your nearest smart center to assist with the delivery. I know that smart Center, West Covina has also delivered cars in the central CA area where there are no smart Centers.

·
Registered
515 Posts
find a friend who has a truck with a tow package
rent a car carrier trailer form uhaul
pick up your car and haul it home...
make sure you mention to your friend about when you need to take the car in for service you will be calling again

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
maybe this isn't the car for you. If you are dead set on an EV just take a vacation for 3 days and then drive home in 3 legs -- this is what owning an EV is all about -- planing our life around the car!!

Or, buy a FIAT 500 EV if there is one closer to you...

·
Registered
521 Posts
Simply flat bed it... every Tesla is delivered to peoples homes...

Service will rarely be needed, only once a year, so plan that trip out and your good.

·
Registered
832 Posts
AAA has lots of experience towing EVs. Last time I used them (for a Gas guzzler with broken fuel pump, here is one of the problems the ED won't have), the driver talked about towing Teslas on a regular basis.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Plugshare

There are several Plugshare locations in Myrtle Beach, Wilmington and Florence depending on where your dealer is located. A J1772 connector should get you home with a 2 to 3 hour charge or a bit more if you need 200 miles. If you have lunch and shop you won't even mind waiting.

Plugshare is great!

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
AAA Introduces Roadside Emergency Charging for Electric Cars

8/24/2011 - "There will be six vehicles in the one-year pilot, using three different technologies.

They will be deployed in Los Angeles; the San Francisco Bay Area; Portland, OR; Seattle, WA; Knoxville, TN; and the Tampa Bay area in Florida. Phased deployment will begin later this summer. AAA “anticipates” adding additional units to new areas after this initial deployment, it said in a release."

2.5 years later, has anyone ever seen one of these (free to AAA members) mobile EV recharging service vehicles?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts