Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last weekend I successfully changed the battery of my Smart Car myself, and I also replaced my drivers side window, after someone broke into my car. So thank you to everyone on here who helped answer my questions about those two things!

Well, I'm now I'm in the process of changing out the Stereo speakers. I'm almost done doing that, I just have to sand down the old speaker door slots, so the new ones fit.

I have one more problem tho, I can't get the dang door panel back on! I feel like I've tried everything, and now I just think I'm doing it wrong. Does anyone have any trips or tricks in order to get the panel back on? It's my drivers side door panel. I know they say to do the reverse steps you did to take it off, but its easier said then done. Please help haha.

Also, I noticed that when I changed out my broken window with a new one, that there is the tiniest gap between the top of the window and the top door seal. I'm not sure if my window is just not the exact size, or if I did something slightly wrong? Anyone know whats going on?

Thanks!

·
Registered
86 Posts
If panels for our cars are so interchangeable I assume we use pops of some sort, or little plastic pieces that expand into holes. If the proper tool is not used these pops typically break. Look and make sure all of them are not bent or broken and are ready to slip in to their corresponding hole and latch.

For your window set it to the highest position with the panel cover off. Measure the gap with the window fully up and try to adjust the window by raising it more. I had to adjust it on a few cars and unless they sent you a non oem window I do not see it being shorter. Lastly check to make sure the entire mechanism is in ok condition and that the break in didn't shift the entire structure down or bend it. I would definitely try the window all the way up adjustment though.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yes so aside from screws I confirmed there are pops, they refer to them as locator tabs. You may screw the door in but if these pops are bent, stretched, or broken the panel won't give you that satisfying lock into position.

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,091 Posts
It's been a while since I removed my door panel. But I seem to remember hooking the bottom lip and the side towards the latch first. So your panel is then tilted high towards the front of the door and lower on the latch side. You can twist it up level as you slide it forward and then you can latch it over the rail where the window glass is. I know this explanation isn't worded the best, but imagine holding the door panel out in front of you and tilting it clockwise slightly, hooking the bottom edge and then the back edge. Then slide it forward as you level it up and you can hook it over the door frame on the top. I am gonna pull my panel shortly to replace an LED inside my door and I will try to take pics and post them here. Once you do the install once it will seem easy. DCO

1 - 6 of 6 Posts