Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The inside of the catalytic converter is made of ceramic material. How to clean it without damaging it?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Youtube is your friend. I found a couple of videos on how to clean them using lacquer thinner. Look at the one by Scotty Kilmer. I don't know if it will work. Probably best to just replace.

·
I'll figger this car out
345 Posts
Youtube is your friend. I found a couple of videos on how to clean them using lacquer thinner. Look at the one by Scotty Kilmer. I don't know if it will work. Probably best to just replace.
If lacquer thinner doesn't work, use xylene from the hardware store but do it out doors for safety's sake

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
How do you know it’s clogged up? Why does it need cleaning?

Under federal law, the catalytic converter and engine-control module are covered for eight years or 80,000 miles. Some other emissions parts carry shorter federal warranties, usually two years or 24,000 miles.

How old is your car?

·
I'll figger this car out
345 Posts
I discovered that there's more bad gas in some stations where the PREMIUM fuel is not used as often and stays as long as 4 months between replenishments. How do I know? I asked the gas jockeys at the place.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
For the past 30 years I have used Shell almost exclusively in all my vehicles. That covers more than 10 over that period of time. NEVER a fuel issue! During the past 7 years of smart ownership most of my fuel has come from a handful of local Shell stations. All of them do a booming gas business. I haven’t positioned myself for a day at a station to record how much premium was pumped but I doubt any of it stayed in the tank for very long. Can’t speak for other stations in other areas.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts