Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
I kinda like it. The smart is probably one of the least respected cars on the street. It might just educate some of the people out there.

·
17,390 Posts
I'm a purist and like to retain whatever remaining purity smart has left (the new C453 forfour is 70% Twingo, the W453 fortwo something less than that), so you'd never see me putting the MB star anywhere near my car except on the parts that already have it.

The fortwo is as much as a Mercedes-Benz as a Bugatti Veyron is a Volkswagen. Sure, VW engineered and for the most part built the Veyron, but it's still not a Volkswagen - it has its own unique brand identity.

That said, smarts do look dapper in Mercedes badging, so I can't complain. :)

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Sorry but I think the practice is a tacky. But to each his/her own. Your car you can do what you want to it. However, using the thought process given in past posts what wrong with Chrysler/Dodge emblems as at the time smart was planing an US market MB was Chrysler Daimler. I guess since Daimler sold out to Fiat I could put an Abarth emblem on... oh where to stop this madness....

·
17,390 Posts
I guess since Daimler sold out to Fiat I could put an Abarth emblem on... oh where to stop this madness....
Well technically, you can put a Fiat badge on a Mazda MX-5. The new Fiat 124 Spider is literally a rebadge of a Mazda MX-5 with an uglier face and an engine/exhaust from Fiat. Even the interior is exactly the same.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Neon, Actually the interiors are NOT the same and big difference in the engines. The dash is the only part not redone on the 124 or Abarth models. The Fiat has a little better grade materials. I quite like the 124/Abarth models better than the MX-5s. I did have two early model Mazda's back in the day (90 Blue base and 95 M-Editon).

·
17,390 Posts
Neon, Actually the interiors are NOT the same and big difference in the engines. The dash is the only part not redone on the 124 or Abarth models. The Fiat has a little better grade materials. I quite like the 124/Abarth models better than the MX-5s. I did have two early model Mazda's back in the day (90 Blue base and 95 M-Editon).
That's actually good to know. I knew the engines were better and the exhaust certainly was WAY cooler than the MX5, but I remember seeing the interior of a pre-prod car and it was just a copy-paste of the MX5 with nicer leather. I'm glad Fiat tweaked it even further. :)

They probably would have been able to build a bespoke 124 had it not been for Sergio's crazy antics and refusal to update product lines until they're in dire need.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Shut up and take my money. I want this

https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f209/how-do-you-guys-feel-about-mercedes-emblem-front-smart-113337/index2.html#post1437465

'So, would you put a Corvette badge on a Chevy?'
You could rightly put a GM badge on a Corvette, Cadillac, Buick after all the parent corp is GM. You could put a FORD badge on any Lincoln and be absolutely correct, as Ford is the owner and manufacturer of Lincoln automobiles.

If GM can slap a Cadillac badge on a Chevrolet Suburban and call it a Cadillac.
I darn sure can do the same.

All chicken heads have been cut off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The front badge looks fine.
Just noticed today at the mercedes dealership that some mercs use a very similar steering wheel to the smart car.
Would have been nice to have the mercedes logo in the middle of the steering wheel.

·
Registered
125 Posts
It's a Smart. And it will always be a Smart, even if you change the badge. Let others deal with badge envy. As far as I'm concerned, anyone doesn't like my Smarts (three of them), piss off. Most fun cars I've driven since my MGBs 40 years ago. My BRABUS model is still a smart. Previous owner stuck big black "B R A B U S" letters on the back. It didn't look bad, but two had fallen off, so I removed the rest. Besides, it already has four discrete BRABUS tags on it

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
It's a Smart. And it will always be a Smart, even if you change the badge. Let others deal with badge envy. As far as I'm concerned, anyone doesn't like my Smarts (three of them), piss off. Most fun cars I've driven since my MGBs 40 years ago. My BRABUS model is still a smart. Previous owner stuck big black "B R A B U S" letters on the back. It didn't look bad, but two had fallen off, so I removed the rest. Besides, it already has four discrete BRABUS tags on it
Yep, I’ve told others many times it’s like driving an old British sports car.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts