Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you park your smart? When you park in a parking lot do you park at the rear of the space or do you pull all the way forward? When I first got my smart I would pull all the way forward. I soon realized this was not a good decision. Cars coming down the aisle can't see you and pull in the space only to realize there is a car in that space. Uh-oh!! Instant anger!! Or maybe someone could park behind you and block you in. So now I always park at the rear of the space so other drivers will see the space is occupied, and no shopping baskets are left sitting behind my car which has happened when I pulled all the way forward.
So many factors trying to decide how to park a smart!!!
Can you believe it?
So, how do you park your smart??

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
I park in the middle with a slight favoring to the rear. Some very long vehicles will infringe on your side of the space just to fit in and they have no qualms doing that.
Hey...that gives me an idea. Why can't vehicles be taxed extra when a certain length is surpassed?

·
Registered
409 Posts
We park in the rear of the space- but most times the car if front of us will pull into our stall up to our front end- when we leave, they look like an idiot in 2 stalls...

·
He's not mine
9,609 Posts
Yeah, rear of the parking space for me too.

Also, as far away from crowd around the store's doors as practical, out around the perimeter of the parking lot. When possible, with one side of the car against a row end, protecting at least one side of the car from having a parking neighbor.

I totally forfeit one of the supposed benefits of driving a tiny car. And still, usually beat the parking lot orbiters to the store entrance :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Rear of the space.

I was always one of the people who got at the tiny car hiding behind the suv and making the space look empty.

I have also realized that I avoid the huge oil puddle in the front of the space.

And in the case of the smart, not driving all the way to the front presents a substantial savings in miles.

·
Registered
646 Posts
OK, along the lines of this topic, what technique do you use to parallel park? The traditional go-past-the-spot-then-back-in, or do you just slide straight in because the Smart is so small?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Back of the space. Too afraid of idiots thinking the space is empty and speeding in. Not a good idea when it's -40 degrees and snowy.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I park toward the front unless there are two huge cars surrounding me. At work most of the cars are parked in reverse (easier to pull out) so the doors at at the rear of the parking spots.

If the adjacent spots are empty, I'll park in the middle.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I'm totally frustrated when it comes to parking.
If I pull all the way in (between bigger cars) I'm invisible - or nearly so.
If I pull in a little so that I am visible from the aisle I entered from, then the guy on the other side offsets my shallow park with a deep park.
I once parked at the end of the aisle perpendicular to normal parking in a parking gagage and people said, "Was that you?" so that doesn't necessarily work.
I checked the community and perpendicular or opposite to the direction of traffic doesn't work.
99.999 percent of the time, people parking parallel on the street park in the middle betwe en driveways. If they were to one side or the other, I cold fit my smart in. Heck, if they parked to one side, another car could fit in, not just a smart.
So, people don't understand how to conserve space when it comes to parking, so I just do whatever fits for the moment.
Sorry, I wish I could say I maximize the parking benefits of the smart, but even if I do, it seems like a losing proposition.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,184 Posts
When I first got my car I tended to pull all the way into a spot. I had an extended cab pickup angle across the back of my space and actually blocked me in. Never again. For over five years now I park at the back of the space, even with the back of the adjacent cars.
If the person facing me pulls in too deep . . . oh well! As somebody said earlier, that guy will look like an idiot :idiot: after I leave and a normal sized car can't fit in the spot that I vacated. :cussing:

·
Registered
50 Posts
When I first got my car I tended to pull all the way into a spot. I had an extended cab pickup angle across the back of my space and actually blocked me in. Never again. For over five years now I park at the back of the space, even with the back of the adjacent cars.
If the person facing me pulls in too deep . . . oh well! As somebody said earlier, that guy will look like an idiot :idiot: after I leave and a normal sized car can't fit in the spot that I vacated. :cussing:
I Lol'ed when I read that the first time. I think that's the best reason of all to park at the back of the space.

·
Registered
646 Posts
That's true unless on the opposite side a lifted, big-azz, redneck pickup truck with a trailer hitch that sticks out a foot from his bumper, is parked. You just know he is going to back up and not even see your Smart car, nail it with the trailer hitch ball, and drive off.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I pull all the way forward as far as possible.
no scuffs from other cars opening theirs doors or backing up too far or being inside my line or anything.
(and my shopping cart isn't half way in traffic when loading)

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I tend to park to the rear of the space. There are too many STUPID drivers out there and I don't want some stupid Bozo heading full speed into what they think is an open space.

Bob Diaz

·
Registered
169 Posts
For me it depends on which way I'm facing...

If I'm facing inwards, it's the back. If I'm facing outwards, it's the front. All that really matters is that I'm visible. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts